Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Chepstow Area!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2003 12:17

Would anyone be able to help, I'm having trouble reading the Parish name on a marriage certificate. The cert is from 1865 marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Saint ???? in the County of M????. I'm assuming the county is Monmouthshire, the Saint Looks like Orwand, Orwald, Oswand or it could even begin with a C. Can't really tell u much more, the reg district is Chepstow, tried getting on freebmd to see what it has listed under Chepstow but it appears to be down at the moment, would be grateful for any ideas! Thankyou. Sarah

Emma

Emma Report 9 Oct 2003 12:30

Hi Sarah, There's a St. Osmunds in Tarlton near Cirencester - don't know whether that would fall under Chepstow. Emma.

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 12:52

found this on Free BMD but dont know if its of any help as i think its just the areas covered by the volume number... Chepstow Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in Monmouthshire, but included parts of Gloucestershire. Sub-districts : Chepstow; Lydney; Monmouth; Shire Newton. GRO volumes : XXVI (1837-51); 11a (1852-1930). Caerwent, Caldicot, Chapel Hill, Chepstow, Crick, Dinham, Howick, Ifion, Itton, Kilgwrrwg, Little Tintern, Llanfair Discoed, Llangwm, Llansoy, Llanvihangel near Roggiett, Llanvihangel Tor-y-Mynydd, Matherne, Mounton, Newchurch, Penterry, Portskewett, Roggiett, St. Arvans, St. Bride Netherwent, St. Kingsmark, St. Pierre and Runstone, Shire Newton, Trelleck Grange, Undy, Wolves Newton. Registers now in Newport and Forest of Dean districts.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2003 12:58

Hi there, Thanks for your help!! I keep looking and looking and it does look like it could be the St Arvans listed under Chepstow. Its this old handwriting!! Thanks again! Sarah

Richard

Richard Report 13 Oct 2008 15:52

Hello
You should try typing ' MONFAMILIES' into any search engine - it will take you to an excellent webite for Monmouthshire family history - most of the parish records are there - all births, marriages and deaths. If you join you can ask questions and will receive lots of help.
Good Luck
Richard Harris
[email protected]