Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!!!! I can't find a marraige

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 11:38

I have looked on St Catherine's,Freebmd, Lds and still can't find this marraige any one with ideas please!!! William Hammond born Ripon 1825 married Hannah Hunnan formerly Bowbank --she was a widow with 5 children. They were in Darlington in 1861 presumbably married as they had another 4 children. Any Ideas Ann,Darlington

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 11:41

Ann Have you an idea of the year of the marriage. When was the eldest child of the couple born? Margaret

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 11:52

Hi Margaret The eldest child to Hannah and William(she already had 5 children to her first marraige according to the 1851 census) was Elizabeth born in Darlington and she was 6 on the 1861 census. I was looking at 1853 onwards. I feel my brain has gone blank with these two. Regards Ann

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 11:59

Ann Perhaps your best bet would be 1837 online. There is always the possibility that they never married of course. Margaret

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 12:31

I have looked on St Catherine's which is the same as 1837 online. The only other they may have married at the Registry Office but I don't think they have a seperate Register does anyone know?? Ann

Emma

Emma Report 9 Oct 2003 12:38

Hi Ann, I've found all my registry office marriages at 1837. As far as I'm aware there's no separate list. Emma.

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 16:51

Ann What do you mean by St Catherine's, do you mean 1837 online, where you pay to view each image or do you mean freeBMD which isn't yet complete. Margaret

George

George Report 9 Oct 2003 16:56

Ann, did any of your Hammonds end up in Richmond, Yorkshire? George

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 16:57

Hi St Catherine's is the index for Birth's,marraiges and Death's which usedto be at Somerset House year's ago and is now in Libraries, Local/County records offices around the country you view them on fiche. 1837 is the St Catherine's online, you pay to view but in the Library it is free. Ann,Darlington

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 17:00

George No not that I know of they in Darlington in 1861,1871,1881 and 1891 but these two are a mystery?? Ann

George

George Report 9 Oct 2003 17:15

my hammond is causing me problems, In 1901 Thomas Hammond,30yrs, b Richmond is living in Oldham with his wife and young son. I had a perfect match in 1881 the age was out but the name and birth place were correct and he was the only Thomas Hammond b Richmond so I thought Gotcha. Recently I decided to look up his parents in 1901, found them and with them was a 40yr old son Thos Hammond, single. So I'm now trying to find another Thomas Hammond b 1871 in Yorkshire on the 1881 census. That taught me never to assume anything. George

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 9 Oct 2003 18:40

Thank you for the ideas but am still stuck may leave them unless I find anything at Durham Records pray for me. They may not as Margaret said been married at all but there children are on the census's as Hammond so I presume they were married. Ann,Darlington

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Oct 2003 18:45

Hi, Look for the birth cert of one of the children in her "married" and previous name. Couples often claimed to the census takers that they were married but didn't do so on birth certs if they were not. Gwynne

George

George Report 10 Oct 2003 12:01

a nudge for Ann, George

George

George Report 10 Oct 2003 17:29

up

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 11 Oct 2003 10:08

Thank you all for your help but have found the name is slightly wrong it is Hunnam not Hunnan ,but still can't find their marraige,but will try and find one of the children even that is proving impossible!!!!! Ann,DArlington