Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coverage National Burial Index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 7 Oct 2003 09:27

Having done a little investigation I am left with the impression that this covers very little of London - am I right?

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Oct 2003 10:24

If you look at www(.)ffhs(.)org(.)uk/General/Projects/NBI(.)htm it tells you what parishes are covered in this edition. There is supposed to be another out some day I believe Margaret

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Oct 2003 11:04

I was very disappointed with this. For £30 it is just not worth it. I have never found anybody on it. Some counties have less than 1,000 entries., Middlesex 11,000

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Oct 2003 11:07

Diane Agreed, I bought it some time ago. I was lucky in that I needed Suffolk and that is very well covered. Nottinghamshire is not covered at all, but, I think it was because some family history societies didn't contibute. It's very hit and miss Margaret

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 7 Oct 2003 17:19

Thank you

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Oct 2003 22:22

Yes, I bought it a while ago too and have never found anyone I am looking for. But if anyone wants me to look for them just send an email! These messages move to quick for me!! Barbara

Laurie

Laurie Report 7 Oct 2003 22:56

Hi, What areas does it cover? Laurie

~Von~

~Von~ Report 7 Oct 2003 23:05

Hi Laurie, Margaret posted the site at the top of the thread where you can read all about the discs. But here is the coverage, in thousands Bedfordshire 52 Berkshire 119 Buckinghamshire 80 Cambridgeshire 95 Cardiganshire 11 Cheshire 255 Derbyshire 35 Dorset 1 Durham 159 Essex 48 Glamorgan 249 Gloucestershire 154 Hampshire under 1000 Herefordshire 84 Huntingdonshire 79 Kent 16 Lancashire 29 Leicestershire under 1000 Lincolnshire 616 Middlesex 11 Monmouthshire under 1000 Montgomeryshire under 1000 Norfolk 74 Northamptonshire 86 Northumberland 106 Oxfordshire 213 Radnorshire 5 Shropshire 85 Somerset 2 Staffordshire 18 Suffolk 429 Surrey 120 Warwickshire 460 Wiltshire 145 Worcestershire 483 York - City and Ainsty 19 Yorkshire East Riding 28 Yorkshire North Riding 311 Yorkshire 720 Hope that helps Yvonne

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Oct 2003 23:10

Beds, Berks, Bucks, Cambs, Card, Chesh, Derbs, Dorset, Durm, Essex, Glams, Gouc, Hamps, Herforshire, Huntingdonshire, Kent, Lancs, Leics, Lincs, Middx, Monmouthshire, Mongomneryshire, Norfolk, Northants, Nothumberland, Ox, Radnorshire, Shrops, Someerset, Staffs, Suffolk, Surrey, Warks, Wilts, Worcestershire, York, and Yorks But its only bits and bobs from each. Some areas have a lot like Yorkshire West riding has 720,245 listed. Hampshire has just 217. Sadly there is no Cheshire which was what i bought it for. I guess I went in quite hot headed but I just assumed it had everything! You live and learn!

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 8 Oct 2003 10:59

Thank you all - I went to the site and noticed that there was no coverage for the areas I needed - money saved - thankyou Sylvie

Lucky

Lucky Report 8 Oct 2003 11:29

I feel sorry for some of the people buying this from e bay. It goes generally for at least the £30 it originally cost.

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 8 Oct 2003 21:12

Evn though there is a lot from WRY, I could find sign nor hair of my nan! I was lucky enough to use it at our local library for nothing! I would have been howling into my porridge! I couldn't even find a Smith! Now that IS sad!! Sonja

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 9 Oct 2003 18:57

First thanks to Barbara for looking up my rellies and getting a result I have been to my local family history group today and the first item was about the Natiional Burial Index an updated version is due to be released in August 2004 Apparently some of the reasons why some parishes aren't listed is either the records are lost or someone holds them and won't part with them . Or perhaps they haven't been transcribed yet Bren

Lucky

Lucky Report 9 Oct 2003 20:30

This doesn't surprise me. The local parish councillor who happens to live up the road to me, has the burial register for the local church in his house! If anything happened there would be no records of all those burials