Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861-71 BIRMINGHAM/WARWICK CENSUS LOOKUP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 6 Oct 2003 01:27

Hi. I found my family in the 1881 Census. Can anyone help me find them in the earlier census. Details from the 1881 census are: Henry Taylor Head M Male 68 Wolverhampton Pawnbroker Harrett Taylor Wife M Female 67 Ettingshall Nr Bilston Dwelling Cheapside No 355 House Census Place Birminham, Warwick, England Family History Library Film 1341713 Public Records Office Ref RG11 Piece/Folio 2985/40 Page Number 2 I am not sure on the children but they did have a son called Thomas Riley Taylor, possibly a Henry as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Irene in NZ

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 6 Oct 2003 08:47

Irene, As far as I know the 1861/1871 census fo Warickshire has not been released on CD yet. Films would be available through the LDS, but you will need to know where abouts in Birmingham, as there will be several films covering it. I have just bought the 1841 for Warwickshire, but there is no surname index, and the street index isn't supplied, but is available in Birmingham Library. Something else you would need to remember is that Birmingham falls into three counties Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire. If you join the Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry (BMSGH), they do offer a look up service, for website use google. Stepping Stones website will tell you the availability of their CDs. sorry I can't be of more help Ros Cheapside is still there, it is the name of a quite big road in the Digbeth area of Birmingham.

Irene

Irene Report 8 Oct 2003 06:37

Hi Ros. Thank you for all your help. Irene

Sarah

Sarah Report 8 Oct 2003 10:01

Hi Irene, I will be going to Warwick Records Office in the next fortnight. I will print out your details and look for you, but I'm not sure if Birmingham details will be there. I will email you if I find anything. Sarah.

Irene

Irene Report 9 Oct 2003 03:39

Hi Sarah. Thank you sooo very much. I do appreciate your offer of help. Irene

George

George Report 9 Oct 2003 09:12

If Sarah has no luck in Warwick, let me know and next time I head for Birmingham Archives I'll look for you. George

Irene

Irene Report 16 Oct 2003 00:28

Hi. Thankyou for your offer of help. I appreciate it very much as I am a newier to genealogy. Irene

Irene

Irene Report 17 Oct 2003 11:06

Hi Ruth. I can give you some information. Henry Taylor was the son of Jeremiah Taylor and Frances Ash who married 10 July 1810 Saint Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Staffs. Henry Taylor was c 28 March 1813 Saint Peter Collegiate. He married Harriet Riley 7 March 1835 St Peters Wolverhampton. Harriet was c 1 August 1814 Bilston, Stafford I am not sure of the children of Henry and Harriet. They had a son called Thomas Riley Taylor who was born in Bilston in 1843. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1867. There could possibly be a Ann Maria, Walter and Edith Ellen. I found Henry and Harriet in the Birmingham, Warwick 1881 census. They were living at Cheapside No 355 House. Henry was aged 68 and born in Wolverhampton and Harriet aged 67 born in Ettingshall Nr Bilston. Henry was a pawnbroker. The Family History Library Film No is 1341713 Public Records Office Ref RG11 Piece/Folio 2985/40 Page Number 2. Thanks for your offer of help. I hope this helps you find my family. Irene

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 12:04

I am going to Birmingham Archives tommorrow. Add the details to my Birmingham Archives post

Irene

Irene Report 20 Oct 2003 08:17

Hi Ruth. I can give you a bit of information but I do not have a lot. Thank you for looking at the 1851 census as I can cross those ones out. Details I have as follows a Jeremiah Taylor married Frances Ash 10 July 1810 Saint Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton, Stafford. Children of Jeremiah and Frances. Henry c 28 March 1813 Saint Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton Mary Taylor c 12 Feb 1815 Penkridge Francis Taylor c 8 April 1817 Penkridge Jeremiah Taylor c 6 July 1820 Penkridge Ellen Taylor c 13 Oct 1822 Penkridge Thomas Taylor c 14 Dec 1823 Penkridge Benjamin Taylor c 10 Oct1824 Died 12 Oct 1824 Penkridge Emma Taylor c 22 Jan 1825 Penkridge Joseph Taylor c 22 June 1828 Penkridge Thomas Taylor c 30 Dec 1830 Penkridge Henry Taylor c 28 March 1813 Saint Peter Collegiate, Wolverhampton married Harriet Riley c 1 August 1814 Bilston, Stafford on 7 March 1835 Wolverhampton St Peters, witnesses Fanny taylor and Richard Caswell. Children of Henry and Harriet Thomas Riley Taylor born 1843 Bilston Possible but not confirmed - Ann Maria c 10 Dec 1854 Bilston, Walter and Edith Ellen. If I can find an 1841 census maybe then I can confirm children. Up to now the only child I know definite is our ggrandfather Thomas Riley. Harriet Riley daughter of William Riley and Sarah. Siblings Mary Ann c 29 Oct 1811 Bilston George c 29 Oct 1811 Bilston Elizabeth c 17 July 1804 Bilston death 26 Oct 1804 William c 18 Oct 1819 Bilston Thomas Tomkinson c 6 Oct 1817 Bilston Charles c 11 July 1813 Bilston Sarah c 24 Nov 1806 Bilston Sarah c 13 June 1819 Bilston Joseph c 6 June 1816 Bilston Jane c 31 July 1808 Bilston The family seem to have concentrated around Bilston and Wolverhampton. From the census in 1881 they seem to have moved onto Birmingham. The census place. There they were found at Cheapside No 355 House. Thank so very much for your offer of help. I hope through this info I havegiven you that you may be able to find out a bit more about this family. Unfortunately with the name of Taylor it makes it so difficult as there are so many of us. Irene