Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Check everything!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 5 Oct 2003 09:08

So far my research has been plain sailing, untill I started on my fathers lot in London. Big place London! I leaned that one of my ancestors was named Frederick Exuperious Turnor Upton I stil have no idea why he had such a grand name as neither his mother nor father were Turnors! I found him in 1881 ok but in 1901 there were two of them, both in Brighton. As I knew he was married to a Mary Ann Sterry, I was realy confused to find the one I thought he was was married to a Caroline while there was the less likely candidate married to Mary Anne. I adopted all the children to my tree and carried on. Finally subscribed to 1891 and discovered that both Freddies were living with Mary Annes at that time! My decision to accept Fred& Mary Anne was wholy incorrect! So now all I need to find is a death of Mary Anne Upton bc 1862(not on Freebmd) and a marriage of Frederick ET Upton and Caroline x between 1891 and 1901 The fact that there is a six year old child and a four year old possibly narrows it down a bit. So there you go, check everything or like me you could be chasing the wrong folk!! Anyone any connection to an Exuperious Turnor?

Lucky

Lucky Report 5 Oct 2003 12:11

Hello Barbara, I don't expect it's related but there is a marriage on FreeBMD for an Exuperious Taylor Turner 1898 Newcastle, maybe that's where the Turner comes from??

Janet

Janet Report 5 Oct 2003 15:37

Just for fun, because its such a lovely name, I went to Family Search and typed in Exuperious Turner. A list of 13 of them came up (also Turnor) from 1674 to 1850. So obviously its a fairly popular name. One was born in Dr. Williams Library, London (I bet he was pleased!), and his fathers name was Exuperious. Jan.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Oct 2003 16:19

Hi, Dr Williams Library is a list of non-conformist baptisms. There are copies in some record offices and it has been filmed by the LDS. Gwynne

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Oct 2003 12:37

You can view and print certificates from Dr Williams Library at the FRC. Gave me siblings from pre 1837 so well worth doing. Sounds like Experious (or whatever it was) is a family name - they could all be yours! Maz. XX

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Oct 2003 15:41

Gosh this is fascinating thankyou! I found three in my search, one of them living over in Sweden! The name interested me because of Antoine de Saint Exupery who wrote The Little Prince. So clearly Exuperious comes from him. The saint not the author lol I downloaded a will of an Exuperious Turnor but I am having problems deciphering it so had put it on he back burner. My Frederick ET Upton was born 28/10/1858 and died in 1901 he was a water carter!! His dad was just a labourer so nothing special to explain the name. As you say it seems to be a family thing. Its also interesting to see that Turnor is spelt with an 'o' in most cases. Not a mistake, as its on all the certificates returns I have found. One day I will work out why he had such a cool name! Thanks again Barbara