Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with my rellies,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 Oct 2003 15:41

Thomas & Maria Spain. Thomas was born c1782 in Folkestone, Kent from 1851 census . Maria was born c1797 in Eastry. They look like they are not registered anywhere. First known child born Sep 1830 in Frogholt. Other known children Mary b1833, John b1836, Susannah b1839 & Thomas b1841 born in Newington Nr Hythe. Have tried bdm, family search, folkestone families (which incidentally, is a brilliant site for Folkestone) Folkestone Library and Helen. Where do I go from here?

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Oct 2003 15:44

Civil registration didn't start until 1837, so you won't find any registration for them. To find Maria's maiden name look for the registration of one of the children born after 1837. Ros

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 Oct 2003 15:46

Thanks Ros, but I've tried that but they are not on bdm either Chris

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Oct 2003 15:50

Have you looked at the indexes your self, or just on freeBMD?

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 Oct 2003 15:52

Ros, I have'nt got access to the indexes. I usually do my research by computer or post. Chris

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Oct 2003 16:10

Where are you based? It may be possible to write to the local register office where the post 1837 children were born, send them the information and a cheque and see what they come up with. I can't see Spain as being a very common surname. Ros

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 Oct 2003 16:17

I am based in Kent, but nowhere near Hythe. I do'nt know where my brains have been, I never thought to get one of the later childrens birth certificate. I presume I need to write to Canterbury? Thanks for getting my brain in gear. Chris

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Oct 2003 16:23

Which ever one is nearest to Hythe. Type in registration districts on a google search for the addresses and phone numbers. Ros

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 4 Oct 2003 16:30

Thanks, Have done exactly what you said and I will be writing to ASHFORD this weekend. I just love this message board. I only really started to read through it recently and now I am hooked. Chris