Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I get Death Certificates from Canada?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 19:16

My grandfather`s parents and siblings went to Canada in the early 1910s. I have found some of them on the index at Canada Archives and now have the transcriptions from the cemetaries. Where would I get their death certificates from, and how much are they? If there is anyone in Canada who wants certificates from here, I am prepared to get theirs and they get mine and swop.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Oct 2003 19:48

Hi Carol! I do know that if you have their date of birth you can apply to the National Archives in Ottawa to get their death certificate. Don't know how much it is to get them. Hang on and I'll check for you.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Oct 2003 19:57

Me again! Try going to www(.)canada(.)gc(.)ca and typing in death certificates under the search. You could try typing in the city that they died in as well to narrow it down a little, I think when I tried it there were 15000 results. Didn't find any info on how much they cost, I think it varies depending on how much they have to do to get it. Hope this helps!

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 20:02

Thanks Amanda, I will give it a try.

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 20:22

I have the cemetery records, so I do have dates. I have just found an online form for obtaining certificates for Ontario. An eventual link from the site you gave me Amanda. Thanks

Martin

Martin Report 3 Oct 2003 22:03

I had a Marriage Certificate from British Columbia by EMail the day after I ordered it. Martin

Amanda

Amanda Report 4 Oct 2003 01:44

No problem Carol, hope they don't cost too much to obtain! Martin, I didn't know that you could get them by email! Was it terribly expensive? That's a lot easier than waiting for the post.

Carol

Carol Report 4 Oct 2003 02:10

On the site I found, the price is $15, but I am not sure whether that is american or canadian dollars. It is Ontario that I need.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 4 Oct 2003 06:25

Hi Carol. I joined GenesConnected one or two weeks ago. I live in the States (California), but we are from Toronto, Ontario. I last ordered Ontario certificates about 15 years ago. At that time it cost $5 per search, for a 5 year period ($5 even if you knew the exact date). And, at that time, it took about 6 weeks to receive the certificates. I ordered them through the Office of the Registrar General (but possibly you may now have to go through the Archives); or, if you try http://www(.)gov(.)on(.)ca/MBS/english/index.html, that will get you to the Government of Ontario home page. I noticed that the fee for a certificate is $15 and I would think that would be Canadian dollars. In case you are interested, the Toronto Public Library has some great information - http://www(.)tpl(.)toronto(.) on(.c)a/uni_spe_genealogy_persons.jsp Because my family is from Ontario, I have discovered quite a few sites about Canada and Ontario, if you are interested. Please contact me if I can help. Lisa Jones

Amanda

Amanda Report 6 Oct 2003 03:51

Hi Carol I live in Ontario, Canada, about an hour away from Toronto, emigrated from UK, 5 yrs ago. I dont know how much it is to order certs, but I need certs from Gloucesteshire and Somerset, so if you would like some help, and can help me, I could get them for you, once I have them it would take 4-5 days to reach uk. E-mail me, and I'll track down the certs for you. By the way, where is the cemetry, perhaps I could visit if not to far away and get some pictures, etc... Amanda Povey

Martin

Martin Report 6 Oct 2003 07:55

Added by Amanda Barr on 04/10/2003 01:44:09 No problem Carol, hope they don't cost too much to obtain! Martin, I didn't know that you could get them by email! Was it terribly expensive? That's a lot easier than waiting for the post. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't very expensive. British Columbia seem to be well organised for online records. Martin

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 11 Oct 2003 00:10

Carol: did you see the above (from me) or did this get lost amongst all the other messages? If you are looking for any websites, I have quite a few and can send them to you, if you are interested? Lisa.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2004 13:11

Hi there A couple of you have mentioned that you have had birth/death/ marriage certificates from British columbia & Ontario - please can you let me know where to look for them please as I have had ancestors in both these areas? Janet xxx

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 Sep 2004 02:35

Hi Janet, you could try this site for Ontario, it won't get you really old ones, but might be some help. http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/html/Marr_death_cert.htm this site is useful for some Ontario marriages, but it is far from complete http://homepages.rootsweb(.)com/~maryc/ontmarr.htm Hope this is some help. Barbara

Carol

Carol Report 15 Sep 2004 04:03

Thank you everyone for all your help. I am sure I will succeed eventually with all the information I have now.

Martin

Martin Report 15 Sep 2004 07:59

Each Canadian Province has its Vital Records system so it all depends on which part of Canada. I am fairly sure there is no national BMD system as in the England and Wales or Scotland. Martin

Janet

Janet Report 17 Sep 2004 16:57

Thanks Barbara - I will take a look Janet