Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CARTER OR CARRIER??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Oct 2003 16:46

Is anyone able to say if there is any difference between these two occupations? I have assumeed (probably incorrectly) that a carrier transported goods from one place to another and as this occupation was in the 1880's then horses would have been the method of transportation. If that is the case then what is a Carter? Grateful for any idea. JaCQUI

Maxine

Maxine Report 3 Oct 2003 16:51

Hi Jacqui My Great great grandfather was an Ostler/Carter and my understanding is that he did exactly what you said ! (in his cxase for the pottery industry) Regards Maxine

Janet

Janet Report 3 Oct 2003 18:23

I've just been looking through an old Kellys Directory, and at the end of each village listing it shows the name of the carrier, and the days and times he collects. Under Commercial, you might find a carter listed. From this I would assume that the carrier runs a regular service, and you can have a ride or send a parcel at a set time, whereas if you want something special moved, or go somewhere at a different time, then you would use a carter. Jan.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 3 Oct 2003 18:27

Cheers me dears - at least I can rest happy that he was probably in full-time employment rather than a "Coo E Mr Shifter" type business. Thanks for that Jacqui

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 18:30

Wasn`t a Carrier a person who transported things, and a Carter, someone who made carts?

Tricia

Tricia Report 3 Oct 2003 19:54

perhaps a carter was one who transported goods in a cart and was therefor a carter and it is also the name of one line of my tree. Tricia

Eileen

Eileen Report 3 Oct 2003 20:21

Hello Jacqui, according to my book a carter is a man in charge of a cart (sometimes a stable) and a carrier is a man who carried either his own or other peoples goods from place to place by horse and cart, or by donkey/mule/horse. hope this helps eileen

Janet

Janet Report 3 Oct 2003 21:25

I think you should think of Carrier as public transport, and Carter as private hire. Jan.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 3 Oct 2003 22:02

Jacaqueline, CARRIER A person who drove a vehicle used to transport goods. CARTER A wagoner. CARTER See CARRIER. Mike.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 3 Oct 2003 22:19

Hi Jacqui In the 1881 census my husbands gt grandfather is shown as a Carter/Farmer. When he had been to Skipton market and had a good day and a few bevvies and if the children had forgotten to open the farm gate he would try to jump over it complete with horse, cart and whatever he had bought at market Needless to say eventually this was his undoing and he broke his back Regards Bren

Janet

Janet Report 3 Oct 2003 22:51

Hi everyone I think I can probably help here. I've been involved in local history research for several years now and have spent many hours talking to the old folk in the village. One old gent was born in 1904, and he was telling me about the different Carriers and Carters in business when he was young, and I asked him the very same question. His answer was that Carters worked locally, and Carriers travelled long distances. Hope that helps! Janet

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 3 Oct 2003 23:14

Hello Jacqui According to my book of Old Trades, Titles and Occupations: Carrier. A man who carried either his own or other people's goods from place to place by horse and cart or by donkey/mule/horse. Carrier Off. Someone at the end of a sorting process who "carries off" the sorted goods to different storage areas. Carter. Man in charge of a cart (sometimes owner of a stable) Len

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Oct 2003 08:38

Thanks to one and all for the wonderful input. I wonder if my grt-grandfather could have ever imagined that his occupation (which I don't suppose required a great deal of skill, probably more muscle) would take up the thoughts of 8+ people one Friday night some 200 years after his birth! No doubt he would have piled up his cart, and carried it off thinking "What's the problem, I'm only earning a crust to feed the missus and kids". thanks everyone Jacqui

Janet

Janet Report 4 Oct 2003 10:25

Jacqui I think my mother must have been right, when she used to say:- "Your whole life lies before you like a sheet of driven snow. Be careful how you tread For every step will show" Obviously still applies 200 years later! Janet