Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 3 Oct 2003 09:40

If a relative was a British Subject born in Germany, where would the birth certificate be held, thanks. Peter.

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Oct 2003 09:50

I am not 100% sure on this one and somebody may know better but I think the records are kept as for anyone born in this country. I am not sure if there is a 'special' file. Hope that helps John

Peter

Peter Report 3 Oct 2003 09:53

Thanks John, will see if I get anymore replies. Peter

Yvette

Yvette Report 3 Oct 2003 09:56

I would like to know the answer to this one also as i have a relative born as a British Subject in Chile, South America in 1897. Where do i look for his birth certificate? His parents were back in the UK with 18 months of his birth. Yvette

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2003 09:59

Hi Peter, Don't know if this is any help to you. My son was born in a British Military Hospital in Germany (only 8 yrs ago), which is classed as British Soil and he has a normal British Birth Certificate. Don't know if yours is a Forces connection, if so from what I believe the Army do all the registering and apply for the cert, and I would presume it would be held in England somewhere. My daughter was born in Holland and she has both a Dutch and a British Birth Certificate. As I say, I'm not sure how this works if they're not in the forces. I have a friend who was married to a German man, so I will ask her if she knows anything about this and let u know!! Hope this has been some help although I admit its a bit vague. Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2003 10:11

Hi Peter, Have emailed my friend and will let u know if she gives me any info. I am just looking at my childrens birth certs, as I say, these are recent and I'm not sure how recent the one you are interested in is. However, they are both A4 English Birth Certs. In the top right hand corner they both have a ref "Form ORS7". The information is listed in boxes from top to bottom rather from left to right (what every birth cert. I have seen before does). The top box says BIRTH outside the United Kingdom Headquarters. My son is registered as HM Forces in Germany and NW Europe. My daughter was born in a Dutch Civilian Hospital and her entry has been given as General Register Office (ORS). My sons birth is shown as registered at an Army HQ and my daughters is registered at GRO Southport. As they were Forces, and Germany had a bigger base we didn't have as many facilities in Holland, we had to register her and get a Dutch Birth Cert, I'm not sure now if we applied for the English one or the Army did (4 yrs is such a long time ???!!!) Anyway, my point being, I would imagine any British Subject would presumably have a British Birth Cert. and it would probably be registered and held the same way as ours. Please let me know if I can be of any further help, or does this not help u iin any way? I hope so. Sarah

Peter

Peter Report 3 Oct 2003 10:26

Sorry I should have said, it is my GG Grandad born c1857. Know nothing about him. Peter

Linda

Linda Report 3 Oct 2003 14:28

When my son was born in Germany when we were stationed there with the RAF,we had to register him with the British Consul(1974). His birth doesn't show in 1837online,and when I asked I was told those records were held in Kew if that is any help.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 Oct 2003 16:45

Depends if it was registered with the local Consulate, or on Army birth records. There are separate indexes for overseas registrations (including military) at the FRC. They are at the back of the deaths section, by the adoption registers for anyone who is going. I believe that if someone wanted a British passport / citizenship etc then the birth had to be registered with the Consul. Hope this helps. Maz. XX