Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required from SUPER SLEUTHS!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 28 Sep 2003 21:58

Please could someone try and find my maternal great grandmother? Her name was Sarah Maria Standing, born c 1829 in Sydenham, Kent. She married William Godfrey Foster, born 1828, Bexley Heath, Kent. In the 1891 census Wm G is shown as Widower. In the 1881 he is shown as Married, but Sarah is not listed at the same address. She is in the 1871, aged 42. I haven't been able to find a record of her birth, their marriage, or where she was in 1881. Any help would be very much appreciated. Jan.

Carol

Carol Report 28 Sep 2003 22:31

Have you looked at the GRO indesis? If not, I am going to the LDS tomorrow, so I could look for you. I have looked on freebmd but that is not complete yet. Do you have her death certificate?

Janet

Janet Report 28 Sep 2003 22:45

I have her name on my grandfather's birth certificate, that's all, then a friend found her on the 1871 for me. She is being VERY elusive. I can't find a record of her birth, marriage or death. Thank you for trying to help. Jan.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 28 Sep 2003 22:53

There is a Sarah Maria STANDEN born 1828 in Kent. Any good? Jacky

Janet

Janet Report 28 Sep 2003 23:10

Jackey, I'm quite happy for Standing to be Standen, as Sarah Maria was illiterate, and when she registered my grandfather's birth the name was written as Forster, whereas her husband's name was Foster. Where did you find S M Standen please? Jan.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 28 Sep 2003 23:22

Details found on Vital Recirds Index disc Births and Christenings 1538 -1888. I am not sure exactly where Sydenham is in relation to these areas but I keep finding relatives in Kent christened away from where born or in the parish of..... STANDEN, Sarah Maria Christening Sex: Female Christening Date: 30 Apr 1828 Recorded in: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England Father: James STANDEN Mother: Mary Ann Source: FHL Number 1469569 Dates: 1813-1904 STANDING, Sarah Christening Sex: Female Christening Date: 1 Feb 1829 Recorded in: Bromley, Kent, England Father: Edward STANDING Mother: Fanny Source: FHL Number 1042453 Dates: 1810-1844

Carol

Carol Report 28 Sep 2003 23:27

I am having the same problem with my maternal great grandparents. I have their names from grandfathers birth certificate. Great grandfather was a trawler fisherman, so may have been at sea when census taken, but the whole family seem to have done a bunk. We shall overcome Hopefully

Janet

Janet Report 29 Sep 2003 14:05

Jacky, I tried to reply last night, but I lost my connection and it was late, so I went to bed. I think Bromley is nearer to Lewisham than Sevenoaks. I just don't have anything else to go on to know if these are the right people. If only I could find a record of the marriage (Sarah Maria Standing/Standen and William Godfrey Foster, probably about 1851) I would send for the certificate and then I'd know her father's name at least. I'm also have great difficulty finding Frederick Foster/Forster their son) in the 1891. I found his 2 year old daughter last night, a visitor staying in Ratcliff, London, wherever that might be. In the 1881 he is a carpenter at the Arsenal, and by 1901 he's a Master Baker (which I know is right), so I'm longing to see what he was doing in 1891. What could be half way between Carpenter and Baker? Anyway, thank you to everyone for your help on this. Jan.

Tracy

Tracy Report 29 Sep 2003 21:09

It may be too late a time period, but you could try the 1851 census for Sydenham (comes under Lewisham I believe). The North West Kent FHS have this indexed and available to purchase - try http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/CENSPUB.HTM Tracy

Laurie

Laurie Report 29 Sep 2003 21:43

Hi Jan, I have a connection in my tree with some Standing's, I'm just wondering if they could be connected. I have 3, one born 1862, one born1853 and another 1851. Laurie