Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another one for those cleverer than I

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 27 Sep 2003 16:13

I have my grandmothers original birth certificate so thought things would be easy. Although faded and torn it clearly says ELLEN GEORGE b. 15/06/1884 Wandsworth, father ALFRED GEORGE, occ. Carpenter, mother ELIZABETH George formally ELLIOTT, living at 44 Lockington Road, Battersea, London. I have looked on the 1901 census decoder and there was Alfred George widower age 56 born Bermondsey, Ellen George, dau. age 16 born Battersea, Rose George dau. age 14 born Wandworth and William Henry George son age 12. Ellen as you can see fits in exactly and I know she had a sister Rose, so this is obviously the right family. Looks as if Elizabeth has died. However, on the 1891 census it is slightly different. Alfred George age 44, Builders Caprenter, Surrey Bermondsey, wife, MARY A. 37, Berkshire, Alfred George 15? born Wandsworth, Ellen George 6, Wandsworth, Rose George 4, Wandsworth, Harry 2 Wandsworth. So Alfred jnr. has appeared, Ellen has changed birthplace from Battersea to Wandsworth, William Henry has changed to Harry, Alfred snr. has lost 2 years and where does Mary A. appear from. I have found a marriage entry on BMD for a Alfred George and a Mary Ann Elliott June qtr 1889 Camberwell. Is this the right one - who knows. I have also found on BMD a death entry for Mary Ann E. George Mar qtr 1895 age 41. The Plot thickens I can find on the 1881 census Alfred GEORGE Head W Male 37 Bermondsey, Surrey, England Carpenter Charles GEORGE Son U Male 17 Lambeth, Surrey, England Engineers Turner Alfred GEORGE Son U Male 7 Wandsworth, Surrey, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 8 Livingston Terr Census Place Wandsworth, Surrey, England Family History Library Film 1341153 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0658 / 25 Page Number 41 Alfred snr is a widower (again) and Alfred jnr has lost 2 years and Charles has appeared. Now are these all the same family. After Alfred snr. first wife died did he then marry Elizabeth Elliott of whom there is no trace anywhere apart from grandma's birth certificate, did she then die and he marry Mary Ann E. (?Elliott)., who then herself died. Did g grand-dad go through 3 wifes. Did he marry his 2nd wife's sister. Are Mary Ann E. and Elizabeth the same person. Any suggestions on how I can find out. No trace of any marriage between Alfred George and Elizabeth Elliott that I can find on 1837 by the way. Heres hoping Janet

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 27 Sep 2003 17:05

Golly! Absolutely no idea, but would love to find out. Come on all you super sleuths out there - any ideas? Liz STS

Valice in

Valice in Report 27 Sep 2003 21:11

maybe wife number one died, and he married her sister or other relative, and she brought with her a child or children of her own, William Henry may have been called Henry which then got 'shortened' to Harry

Rosi

Rosi Report 27 Sep 2003 21:44

Phew! And I thought I was going round in circles - my probs. with Sainthill Lindseys and John/William Mosson Kearns' pale into insignificance! I wish I could help Rosi

Janet

Janet Report 27 Sep 2003 23:16

Hi all, Good point about William Henry being aka Harry, Val. I suppose they could have been so used to calling him Harry, just automatically gave that name to the enumerator. Max - our g grandparents (or whoever) could well have been friends as well as neighbours. Now theres a thing. Yes your right of course, Battersea is in the district of Wandsworth. Another part cleared up. Liz and Rosi - thanks for the support Janet

Janet

Janet Report 27 Sep 2003 23:23

I seem to remember reading somewhere that people were asked to put the names by which they were normally known down on the census form. All the Henry's in my tree were known as Harry's! I also have a Eugene who was known as Guy, a Miriam who was known as Marrie, and an Edgar William who was known as Bill! Janet

Keith

Keith Report 27 Sep 2003 23:29

Hello. Just to keep you interested!! we have a similar set up in my wife's family. Relative's wife died in Liverpool leaving three children. He then married, in London, a widow, also with three children, who he would have known as a young man in Salcombe. In the fullness of time she died in Salcombe and he then took a housekeeper and married her. She died and he then married her sister. He then died and wife's sister then moved in with her and inherited the house when the widow died. Just to add spice to the story, his eldest son married the eldest daughter of wife No 2. Thank God for Family Tree Maker. Happy hunting. Keith

Janet

Janet Report 27 Sep 2003 23:36

Janet Surprising how these comments just help. Of course with William Henry aka Harry it now makes sense. Grandma, Ellen, who was William Henry sister, had a son Henry James who was always known as Jim. So obviously a family thing using second names. Keith Yours is more complicated than mine. Janet

Paul

Paul Report 27 Sep 2003 23:37

If I could add an emoticon for a spanner, I think this would merit it Janet. Both of those names George and Elliot (one and two T's) have big Irish conections. Although they are of no connection to my searches, I have worked with people of both of those names and they both have County Donegal connections. Just thought I would add some spice to your wanderings Paul

Janet

Janet Report 27 Sep 2003 23:43

Paul, That is a point. Alfred George is however down as being born in Bermondsey c 1844 but I can find no trace of it. Just could be couldn't it. How do I check out Irish connections. Janet

Carol

Carol Report 28 Sep 2003 08:12

Janet If you need to check out Ireland, LDS centres have the indexes.

Janet

Janet Report 28 Sep 2003 09:51

Max, Your a star. Will look forward to hearing from you after your next visit to Southwark Libary. Thanks Janet

Janet

Janet Report 1 Oct 2003 00:54

Sorry - just moving this up again, would hate for Max to loose her papers. Darn cheek I've got I know. Thanks to everyone for their help Janet

Janet

Janet Report 7 Oct 2003 10:48

Hi Max, Thanks for trying. Just to show my ignorance, what is the LMA and where is it. I know I should know but brain must be dead at the moment. Janet

Janet

Janet Report 8 Oct 2003 11:45

Hi Max, Thanks again for all the trouble that you have taken on my behalf. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting down to London in the foreseeable future. I now live in Shropshire. I have found a possible birth entry for Alfred George in June qtr 1843 but how will I know if its the right one. Ah well sometime it will work out. Good luck with your searches Janet x