Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 census puzzle.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 26 Sep 2003 20:22

Having trouble finding JOHN HUTTON aged 29 born bethnal green. He married a widow Mary Ann Abbot in 1874. She would be 34. She had 2 children Ada Abbott 1870 and John 1871 both born in Lambeth. They then had Robert b1879 and Jane b1880 both born Southwark. Someone kindly found them for me in the 1891 census at 2 Ormside street, camberwell. So what happened in 1881. Could they have been missed?

Sue

Sue Report 26 Sep 2003 20:43

I think this might be them on 1881 census. Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability John HULTON Head M Male 28 Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England Costermonger Mary A. HULTON Wife M Female 36 Sthwark, Surrey, England Ada HULTON Dau Female 11 Lambeth, Surrey, England Scholar John HULTON Son Male 9 Lambeth, Surrey, England Scholar Robert HULTON Son Male 2 Sthwark, Surrey, England Jane HULTON Dau Female 1 Sthwark, Surrey, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 13 Loman St Census Place Southwark St Saviour, Surrey, England Family History Library Film 1341116 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 0518 / 59 Page Number 41 *************************************************** Sue at Langley Vale

Shirley

Shirley Report 26 Sep 2003 21:55

Sue, How did you manage that so quickly? I have been on 1881 website for hours. I have been trying all combinations of names but obviously not right one. John Abbott was my great gandfather and he married Louisa Mary A Males who lived at 5 LOMAN STREET and her grandparents lived at no 7. Now I even know how they met. Once again thank you.

Sue

Sue Report 27 Sep 2003 09:05

Hi Shirley I just entered Robert, approx year of birth and place of birth. I thought there would be less Roberts than Johns! You wouldn't believe the strange names some of my rellies acquire in the various censuses! Happy to help Sue at Langley Vale