Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What ,makes an 'official' family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 25 Sep 2003 15:48

Can anyone explain how much evidence is needed to make your family links official. For instance, I've had some links up from very distant cousins (7 times once removed etc!) who have given me research that they have done that goes back very far. Do I also have to have original sources, or does this count?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Sep 2003 15:50

Hello my lovely - I would have thought that you would need to prove your own links positively up to where it joins their branch, otherwise we could all end up one big happy family with little effort and not so much fun. Jacqui

Helen

Helen Report 25 Sep 2003 16:07

I think it's up to you - it's your tree, go with what makes you happy. There is no right or wrong way, no written rule of what you have to do . No one can prove 100 % that the details they dig up are correct, errors were made on the original documents and in transcriptions. Don't let anyone tell you your's isn't a 'proper' tree if you haven't actually seen the document yourself. The only way anyone can really prove their ancestors is to dig them all up and DNA test them, and I bet that would bring a few surprises! Whatever and however you do it, it's your 'official' tree.

Mystified

Mystified Report 25 Sep 2003 16:09

I would treat them as very helpful leads but until you have checked yourself ie the sources treat with suspicion like you would do any other lead.

Janet

Janet Report 25 Sep 2003 16:24

You do start some interesting threads Georgina! (incidentally that was my great-grandmother's name) In principle, I agree with Helen. You must do what you feel comfortable with - it's your tree - your baby - your creation. If it was me, personally, I would feel the need to 'prove' everything for my own satisfaction - so in that way, I suppose I also agree with John! I am working with cousins to trace our family tree, and I do the internet research, and a cousin who lives near the Record Office follows them up and checks them out. I have recently been contacted by the great-granddaughter of my grandfather's sister. She has been doing research on the family tree too, and we have swapped our trees, and swapped information and ideas and the sources. She has managed to confirm or tie up loose ends for me, and I have done the same for her. We are now still working separately on our research, but are collating our findings, and questioning the sources of each others findings! It seems to be working quite well. Janet

Georgina

Georgina Report 25 Sep 2003 17:54

Thanks to you all. Thats extremely useful.

Martin

Martin Report 25 Sep 2003 18:52

Most family tree software allows you specify the "Surety Level" for each fact. I think it runs from 5 which is absolutely certain to 1 which is "Have not decided yet". This lets you record facts or events where there are some doubts of certainty. The experts will say that every detail should be checked back to the original document but that is not usual practical for most people. Beware of any member's submission on the LDS WWW site, these are usually very dodgy. I have been caught out a couple of times when importing someone else's GEDCOM and picked up some doubful details in my database. Martin

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 25 Sep 2003 19:24

That's exactly what I meant about "proving" your own research - only then can you be certain (or as near as dam it) to knowing who are your ancestors. I have taken info from IGI only to find that the info was input by a church member who was not as thorough as me. My own aunty is on the site and would you believe her maiden name is incorrectly spelt? Also some of the data just doesn't add up date wise. Best to do your own as best you can, and once you are as certain as poss. then join your branch to another branch, and hopefully if every one is an consciencious as you, the tree will be complete and maybe even flower!! Jacqui

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 25 Sep 2003 19:42

Just ask them what their sources were. If they can't remember where they got specific details from, then it's probably not a good idea to take it as fact. If you really can't do all the parish registers, then you could always spot-check.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 25 Sep 2003 19:42

Just ask them what their sources were. If they can't remember where they got specific details from, then it's probably not a good idea to take it as fact. If you really can't do all the parish registers, then you could always spot-check.