Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

irish expert needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belle56

Belle56 Report 25 Sep 2003 01:59

Help, i need an expert on irish history, i have just recieved a marriage certificate for my ggrandfather, timothy brosman, spelt wrongly should have been brosnan, he married in chelsea aged 31 in 1909, it states on the cert that his father was florence brosnan, farmer, i know father and son were born in kerry and i believe his father was still alive in 1909, i have made numerous searches on sites and have drawn a blank, i only found 1 florence brosnan who was a sponsor to a baptisim? i can't even tell if that was a man or woman, i went on cyndi's list and managed to get 9 searches in 1 go, don't ask me how, and have just trawled through 3,000 brosnan names and have still drawn a blank, any ideas anybody.

Carol

Carol Report 25 Sep 2003 03:16

I am no expert, but do you have an LDS centre near you? Look in the phone book under Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Their family history centres have the birth, marriage and death indexes for Ireland. I am going to my local LDC on Monday, would you like me to look for you? Just give me all the names and possible dates, and I will do my best.

Shirley

Shirley Report 25 Sep 2003 09:42

Hi April, There is a centre at Twydall Lane Gillingham but it has very limited hours. I think it is open some evenings which might be better as I know you work hard every morning! I have another 2 days off . If you go let me know how you get on.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 25 Sep 2003 10:48

Thank you ladies for your replys. Carol that's very kind of you to look him up for me, but only do it if you have the time, my knowledge of him is very scant i'm afraid, as i said he's Florence Brosnan, farmer, County Kerry, i would say he had to be born around 1848, but that's a guess, and catholic, i'm don't even know if he had any more children other than Timothy born in 1878, but i would have said being catholic there was a few more of them, i believe he was still alive in 1909. Again many thanks, and if you could let me know one way or the other i would be very grateful. April. p.s. there was a Florence Brosnan and Hannah O'Connor who were sponsors at a batisim 5-11-1859 (not sure if that means godparents) in Farrenbrack. records from Castleisland Baptisims-B- Casey Collection Vol4 and 6.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 25 Sep 2003 11:19

Hi Lesley, you can get to Cyndi's list through genes, just click on resource centre at side of this page and it's near the bottom of the list of useful sites that come up there's loads of sites you can go on the list of sites seems endless, take a look you'll be there hours, try to keep track of where you go by jotting down the sites you have linked to, as you can get somewhere and can't remember how you got there.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 25 Sep 2003 11:42

i know what you mean.