Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has any kind person got a look up for 1831 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera

Vera Report 23 Sep 2003 23:38

Trying to locate Thomas Shaw or his wife Anne Watson of Allendale, Northumberland. Thanks. Linda x

Bryan

Bryan Report 23 Sep 2003 23:58

Linda UK census only began 1837...You should try looking for them on www*familysearch*org--- better known to message boarders as LDS (Church of Latter Day Saints)..go to IGI section and fill in details of your rels..It's brill ,goes way past 1837 Haven't we have this conflab before..Remember , www( . with brackets) so you should know yer way round LDS now !! Goodluck LOL Bry

Vera

Vera Report 24 Sep 2003 00:12

Hi Bryan Thanks for that but thought it was just b certs started in 1837 not censuses?! Have tried family search and cant get any further than gr gr gr grandparents Thomas Shaw and Anne Watson! What do I do next??? Linda x

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 24 Sep 2003 00:15

am not entirley sure but think there is census for 1831 nad 1841 but that they are just figures and no names. So just telling us how many people lived in certains places. Am sure someone will correct me if wrong Shelli

Vera

Vera Report 24 Sep 2003 00:28

Thanks Shelli but how do you go about finding out names for this time? Do I have to go to Parish records etc for this???Linda x

Bryan

Bryan Report 24 Sep 2003 02:06

Linda Not much help ..but have found Thomas Shaw married Ann 23/June/1821 Allendale LDS Batch No: M002422 Then searched for Shaw children born 1822 onward Found Mary Shaw chr. 12/Oct/1823 Allendale child of Thomas/Ann Batch No: P002421 ...You can put this batch no into "Batch " in IGI Search then just put Shaw in "Last Name " with NOTHING ELSE click search ,you may get more siblings..Try it Bry

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Sep 2003 07:14

Hi, The first census was in 1801 and from then on there were censuses every 10 years (excluding war years). 1801 - 1831 were just head counts and not much use to genealogists. However, for some areas, there was a name listing in 1831. There is a book you can buy from the PRO which lists which areas. In 1841 names and occupations were given but not position in household. Ages were rounded up or down (I forget which) to the nearest 5 years and the only info about place of birth was whether the person was born in or out of the county where they were living. Gwynne

Vera

Vera Report 24 Sep 2003 12:17

Bry You are a great help thanks. Ive found that info too and will now try your batch advice Linda x Gwynne Another good bit of help! This sites brilliant. Everyones so helpful. Am glad you lot are all out there. Linda x

Vera

Vera Report 26 Sep 2003 00:17

Bryan Have tried the Batch thing and nothing!!!! Any further ideas? Have a copy of gr grandads b cert which shows he must have been illeg as no fathers name (1st skeleton) but would love to no if Mary had siblings!!!! Isnt it sad when you think about it? Linda x

May

May Report 26 Sep 2003 05:58

Mary Shaw Christened 12 oct 1823 Barbary Shaw " 13 june 1824 William Shaw " 3 nov 1826 Ann Shaw " 14 sept 1828 May

Vera

Vera Report 27 Sep 2003 16:24

Hi May! Im astounded, how did you get that info? I tried the batch no, thing and got nowhere. My familys growing by the minute. Thanks Linda x

May

May Report 27 Sep 2003 16:29

Hi Vera, I did the batch number as well but put his name in also. There was a lot of names but I picked out the ones nearest to your date. May

Vera

Vera Report 27 Sep 2003 16:38

May, does that mean that they are not necessarily my rels? What does the batch number actually indicate? As you can prob tell Im a bit new at this haha Linda x

Vera

Vera Report 27 Sep 2003 17:22

Ive been on IGI and looked up the names Barbary, William and Ann and it seems they have 2 different sets of parents to my g g g grandparents. Of course the respective fathers Roger and William could be my g g g grandfathers brothers???? All from Allendale! Hmmmm what now? Linda x