Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CROSS or FISHER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 22 Sep 2003 23:44

Cannot find birth entry for Bessie Cross, but know it to be 4th Oct 1871 from ancient family birthday book. 1881 census shows Bessie Cross, aged 11, born St Austell (I am 100% certain I have the right family) 1901 she is married to John Jones, aged 28, living at Wrexham Barracks (where my grandmother born so definitely right family). Why does Bessie Cross show her father as James Fisher, blacksmith on marriage and her childrens birth certificates. Her mother was Elizabeth Toms (father William Toms) when she married Edwin Cross in 1879 so she hadn't married previously. And if Bessie was illegitimate, wouldn't she be Bessie Toms? Why would she show her name as Bessie Fisher? Any ideas?

Janet

Janet Report 23 Sep 2003 09:52

Jillian Are you CERTAIN you have the right Bessie on the 1881 census? If she was born in October 1871, she would have only been 9 years old at the time of the 1881 census, wouldn't she? Janet

Crista

Crista Report 23 Sep 2003 10:15

Jillian. Are your dates correct? You say Elizabeth married Edwin in 1879, 8 years after Bessie was born. Crista

Janet

Janet Report 23 Sep 2003 10:43

Jillian Perhaps Elizabeth was in Service. I think a good proportion of illegitimate children were born to young women in Service, the father being either their employer or his son? Janet

Janet

Janet Report 23 Sep 2003 11:07

Jillian Perhaps the real father acknowledged his daughter, but was unable to marry her mother? Janet