Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susana

Susana Report 22 Sep 2003 14:13

hi everyone, I'm new at this and am trying to get copys of my grandparents birth certiticates. I have their dates of birth and addresses at the time. Can anyone tell me what to do next. I've tried 1837 online but can't download to view the information that I need. Is there another way(i've also trien free bdm) Thanks Susana.

Pamela

Pamela Report 22 Sep 2003 14:43

Susana, Have you actually downloaded the viewer on 1837? It takes a few minutes but the links guide you thru. I don't know where you live, but the only other way is to go to the Family Records Centre at Farrigdon, London and search thru the tomes they have there. It's exactly the info you would view at 1837. Failing that contact the General Register Office, giving them as much info as you can and they should be able to help.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Sep 2003 14:59

Hi - when I want a copy of a birth, marriage or death cert. I ring the Register Office at the place where the event happened and see if they have the records. I then write to them enclosing a list of the pertinent details etc. and a cheque for the required amount (£7.00 per cert. last time I got some) I put in a stamped addressed envelope and within a few days back come the certs. I do believe you can go direct to Stockport, but saw on this board some time back that it takes longer to get the copies back - I also believe (but might be wrong) that these copies are actual copies of the entries, rather than typed or handwritten copies from the local Register Offices. No doubt if I'm wrong someone will explain better than I can. Jacqui