Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What info is on Kellys, Pigots etc?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2003 10:02

Hi Can someone enlighten me please as to what information I could expect to find on: Kellys directory The Post Office Directory Phillimores Parish records Pigots directory And I have the burial index for Hampshire but I am not really sure how to use it. Sorry to be dense, all these things take some getting used to. Ann Glos

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Sep 2003 10:37

Hi Ann, The Kelly's and White's directories are trade directories, listing al those who have subscribed in what ever trade they are envolved in. Not sure about the post office, unless these were early phone books. The Phillimore Atlas, shows the old counties devided up into individual parishes, the dates of their parish registers, where they are held, and if they have been transcribed on to the IGI, bearing in mind not every entry from the register will have made its way onto the IGI, very useful for identifying ajoining parishes, especially in neighbouring counties. A bit pricey at £50. Where abouts are you researching? Ros

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2003 10:41

Hi Ros, I am researching the Belper area of Derbyshire, the Butleigh/N Petherton area of Somerset, Membury area in Devon, Broadwinsor area in Dorset, Chipping Sodbury area Gloucestershire, Newport Mon area Wales. and Botley, Portsmouth and Gosport areas in Hampshire (so far). Also some research in Middlesex (Highgate) and maybe Canterbury Kent. You did ask! Oh for a family that stayed in one place. Ann Glos

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 Sep 2003 10:51

Ann - I have some 1891 indexes for Alverstoke/Gosport area - only certain ones with the surnames I'm interested in - your's might be in there. When I get hoI'll try to e-mail you with the info I have to see if it's any good to you. Jacqui ps I'm also looking at Newport Mon - but don't have a great deal of info on that.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Sep 2003 10:56

I only asked as I have a copy (original) of Whites Birmingham and Warwickshire directory, gives a lot of information about places and parishes and who owns what, price was 35 shillings and sixpence, which would have been an awful lot of money in 1876. I know it belonged to my grandfather, and possibly came from his father, but not found any members of my family in it. Who said people never moved far in the past, I have a marriage of someone from Tenbury Wells to a Woman from Pancras in London in 1834. Found it on the IGI, didn't believe it, then when I saw the census found out it was correct! Ros

Emma

Emma Report 22 Sep 2003 11:06

Hi Ann, It might be worth taking a look at www(.)uk-genealogy(.)org(.)uk for your Belper research. They have Phillimores marriages for Duffield scanned. I'm also researching in Belper and a lot of my early marriages were in Duffield. Unfortunately you can't search names only trawl through the pages, but it's worth it if you find someone!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2003 12:20

Lucy, thank you for that address, I will certainly look at it. Ros I have a gt gt Grandmother from Middlesex who married a gt gt grandfather from Botley in Hampshire. Ann Glos

Martin

Martin Report 22 Sep 2003 23:32

What info is on Kellys, Pigots etc? Hi Can someone enlighten me please as to what information I could expect to find on: Kellys directory The Post Office Directory Phillimores Parish records Pigots directory And I have the burial index for Hampshire but I am not really sure how to use it. Sorry to be dense, all these things take some getting used to. Ann Glos Try a WWW search first. There are some extracts from directories on GENUKI and other sites. It depends what you ancestor did. If he was wealthy then he will be included. Also if he was a trademan of some sort then he might be in there. But if he was just an ordinary worker than he is unlikely to be in there at least not until the later Post Office directories which list householders of most houses. They make interesting reading and there are plenty available on CD-ROM from ACDB, S&N, Stepping Stones and other companies. If someone has a rare directory then it is worth enquiring whether anyone of these are interested in copying it for posterity. Martin