Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any suggestions anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 21 Sep 2003 15:55

Hello, have just been reading all the succes stories, and thought I would mention my own brick wall to see if anyone has any fresh ideas. My grandfather, Christopher Gallagher (Gollaker on his birth certificate) was born on 22.05.1900, in Salford, Manchester. His parents were Patrick Gallagher, born approximately 1855-1861 in County Mayo, and Mary Wignall, born approximately 1869 in Woolton. Patrick and Mary were married on 21.07.1889 at St Francis of Assisi Church, Garston, Loverpool. Patricks father is given as John Gallagher (deceased) labourer. I have been to Dublin and found the birth of a Patrick Gallagher, born in Swinford on 17.03.1856. My mum recalls her father telling her that her grandfathers birthday was St Patricks Day (but don't all Irishmen say that!!) This Patricks mother was Bridget Conmy. Along the way (and by using IGI) if this is the "right" birth, there were siblings, Thomas, Peter, Mary and possibly Ellen. I have the baptism certificate for Peter, but this does not really tell me anything. I commissioned a search in Ireland by Irish Ancestry, but was very disappointed as they just wrote back and told me what I had told them, nothing more! I have left messages in Irish Newspapers and had one glimmer of hope, when an elderly gentleman responded, saying that his grandfather was a Gallagher from Swinford, but although he did not think we were related, he was going to ask around. He mentioned that he recalled a member of the family had the nickname "Gaston" as he went to work in England, and I wondered if it was "Garston" as that is where Patrick was married. I wrote back to thank him and to ask if he could let me know anything. This was now more than 2 years ago and I have not heard anything, I fear that he has died. I think that Patrick may have had a cousin named Martin, uncle Joseph, as when I checked the census for the address on Patricks marriage certificate, there was a Catherine Gallagher and her daughter living there. Further searching found that Catherine Mooney had married a Martin Gallagher, and I have their certificate. One of the witnesses was John Gallagher. This was 5th February 1889 in the same Church as Patrick. As the records of this church, St Francis of Assisi, have not been deposited, I wrote direct to the church, with the information I have, asking if it would be possible for me to look through the registers. A lady wrote back, saying this was not allowed, and confirming the 2 weddings that I already had! I am sure that there will be more weddings/baptisms in this church, but can't get my hands on them!! I am now really frustrated and feel like giving up. Sorry this is so long, but I am hoping a fresh pair of eyes might throw up some clues that I cannot see. Thanks everyone in advance for any help you might be able to give. Carol xx

Mystified

Mystified Report 21 Sep 2003 16:23

Hi, Sorry I can't help you but just want to lend you support. You have gone to so much effort you deserve to be successful. There are 1 or 2 Irish experts on this site and perhaps they may respond. Good luck, John

Janet

Janet Report 21 Sep 2003 16:24

Hi Carol,I have just seen on the previous page 20th sept a Theresa is offering Irish help,give her a try .sorry i cant help but i feel your frustration dont give up .good luck Jan

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 21 Sep 2003 16:31

Thank you for your support Jan & John, much appreciated. Carol xx

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Sep 2003 21:50

Carol If you have the baptism certificate it should have the church etc. If you write to the parish priest he may help you. I wrote to 2 and they both sent me a lot of information on the family.