Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Swapping names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Sep 2003 23:57

I have been trying to find a birth certificate for my great grandmother. On her wedding certificate she is Alice Selina Powell, yet on my grandfathers birth certificate she is Selina Powell. In 1891 She is listed as Selina A Powell In 1901 Alice S Powell I can't find her witht he family in 1881 but I think she may be the Selina Powell in a convalesant home even though the age is out by a year. Southport cannot find Alice Selina Powell in their records - not the right one at any rate! Though in 1891 she is listed as being born in Bermondsey, and in 1901 in Fulham. The possible in 1881 was born in Fulham. thing is in comparing 1891 and 1881 I found odditties with her sisters Looking on the 1891 census and 1881 Elizabeth E is 26 Emily is 17 Annie L is 24 Louisa is 15 Matilda A is 20 Ada is 10 Rosetta C is 19 Rosetta is 9 The parents are the same: James Powell Mat Maker born St Pancras Middlesex and Elizabeth born Chertsey Surrey Why would they change their names like that? Will I ever find her birth certificate?

Barbara

Barbara Report 20 Sep 2003 23:59

Eugh sorry I hate the way the message gets bunched. This is what I was showing Looking on the 1891 census and 1881 Elizabeth E is 26 Emily is 17 Annie L is 24 Louisa is 15 Matilda A is 20 Ada is 10 Rosetta C is 19 Rosetta is 9

Mystified

Mystified Report 21 Sep 2003 06:31

An attempt to help but no guarantee. You seem to have the right family etc ages out by a year are acceptable on census due to b/days etc. Perhaps, if you haven't already done, you should look yourself either on 1837 or the GRO in the library and see if you can track her there (Free bmd too although no guarantee there). Allow for the fact that she may be older or younger by at least 5 years. You might be able to find her then? Hope this helps. I have a rellie who's age varies by 7 years depending where you look, even his gravestone!! Good luck, John

Crista

Crista Report 21 Sep 2003 08:23

Barbara, How old is she on the 3 censuses? Crista

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Sep 2003 09:37

HI In 1901 Alice S Priestman is 31 In October 1898 Alice Selina Powell is 28 in 1891 Selina A Powell is 22 In 1881 Selina Powell is 13 if you look on the census for her, there is only one that can be her as far as I can see, which is the one where the head is a matron of a convalesent home. In 1891 while her sisters are all working she isn't. I am certain they are the same people because Alice Selina was married from 18 Warner Street which is the same address as in 1891 and James Powell her father is still there in 1901 I've searched til I am blue in the face! I sent for an Alice Selina Powell of Kensington in 1869 but her father was Alfred. I then asked for a three year search which came back a blank. I even sent to Scotland because there was some thought that there was scottish blood in there. Even searching 1837 for Selina Alice is not giving me anything. I think its back to the coffers for a full search for a Selina with father James. Still doesn't expain why so many of them would swap their names round. If only we could talk to the dead and ask them to solve our mysteries! In 1881 James Powell is living at 3 Flying Horse Yard, he was a fancy mat maker. We thought it was fancy hat maker when we looked on the wedding certificate, but narrowing down the possibilities gave me that. In 1901 they have transcribed him as being Coin...weaver, but if you look properly he is a 'coir mat weaver' lol Needless to say my letter to the 1901 people has not been acted on. In fact I spent a lot of time round christmas sending in error reports, and not one has been rectified, so if you are in doubt always do a fuzzy search, because I have found so many errors!

Crista

Crista Report 21 Sep 2003 09:57

Barbara, I've seen this one before where female relatives get younger as they get older. I think it's pretty common once they get past 20 and are still single. Looks like the older sisters were practising this too. I'd take the 1881 census as being closer to her true age. This means she might have been born in 1867/68. You could try waiting until the records on FreeBMD for these years are complete. Crista

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Sep 2003 10:16

lol thanks Crista - sorry for such a long message! This is the problem with family history, you get so involved and then have to tell each individuals life story!