Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thud!!! Ok someone else has hit a brickwall!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 00:18

This is really getting to me! Found my gt grandfather James Charles Theobalds Buddell, born 1858 , 7 Gt Quebec St, Marylebone, great! got his parents James buddell and sarah theobalds, fantastic. But that is it, they do not appear on any census, apart from james charles on 1881, no other siblings to james charles nothing! As I have no ages for James (snr) or sarah or where they came from or went to where do I go from here? Someone please help me! Kim

Andy

Andy Report 20 Sep 2003 00:31

I'll have a look on the 1891 census, it could be that his surname has been mis-spelt. Andy.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 00:43

Thank you Andy that is really kind of you Kim

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 00:43

Thank you Andy that is really kind of you Kim

Anthony

Anthony Report 20 Sep 2003 00:43

Kim, Search GRO marriage indexes backwards from c.1858 for entries for James Buddell & for Sarah Theobalds with matching reference numbers - I've already looked on FreeBMD & though there's entries under both names, there's none matching - but of course FreeBMD isn't complete yet & it might be that it contains the correct entry for one partner & not the other, so search either 1837Online or fiche in your local records office for a match. Once you find the correct index number its probably worth £8 or so to get a copy of the certificate which will tell you where your 2nd Gts married, possibly how old they were, & their fathers names. Good luck. Tony

Andy

Andy Report 20 Sep 2003 00:43

Found James Charles Buddell on the 1891 census: James C.BUDDELL, Head, Married, 35,Milk Carrier, Marylebone Jane E.BUDDELL, Wife, Married, 37, Charwoman, St. Lukes Jessie L.BUDDELL, Daughter, Single, 10, Scholar, Islington Alice M.BUDDELL, Daughter, 9, Scholar, Islington Ada E.BUDDELL, Daughter, 7, Scholar, Islington Florence A.BUDDELL, Daughter, 5, S.Pancras Elizabeth M.BUDDELL, Daughter, 8?, S.Pancras Charles J.BUDDELL, Son, 5?, S.Pancras Living at 62 Wellington Road, Islington West

Crista

Crista Report 20 Sep 2003 00:51

Kim, Where is James Buddell on the 1881 census? I can't find him. Crista

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 00:54

Anthony, I think that will have to be my next step, Andy, Thank you very much for looking that up but that is James (jnr) James snr & sarah have just fanished! but I can't believe he was an only child, so where have all my Buddell's gone to? This is so frustating! Thanks again you guys for your help Kim

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 00:58

Ah Crista! Then the tale gets complicated!!!! on the 1881 James Charles is on there as Chas.A with Jane Emma (wife) and Jessie. I have his marriage cert to Jane and his birth cert, but then zilch!! Kim

Andy

Andy Report 20 Sep 2003 01:02

Kim, Wasn't sure from your message whether you had found James jnr on the 1891 census. I did see a Sarah Buddell, aged 64, but was born in Gloucestershire. Like Anthony says, I think trying to find James and Sarah's marriage cert is the next step. Crista, Found James and his wife, Jane plus daughter Jessie living as lodgers with a family called Baldwin. James is listed as Chas A, which is why he's difficult to find.

Crista

Crista Report 20 Sep 2003 01:03

Kim, I see him now. Looks like there was a transcription error with the landlord's son and Chas A was written down twice. Crista

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Sep 2003 01:06

cheers guys, got my work cut out with this lot i think, but thank you all for looking for me Kim