Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth not registered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 19 Sep 2003 21:37

Please can anyone help. My ggfather Benjamin Ackroyd b.1853 in Dudley Hill, Yorks d. 1889 in Outwood, Yorks. His birth does not appear to have been registered, in which case any way of finding out his mothers name? I have his fathers name , John Ackroyd from his wedding certificate. The 1881 census states birth 1853 so he may not have been christened.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Sep 2003 21:41

I take it you've tried FreeBMD and 1837online, with a few years either side? You may be correct and his birth may not have been registered. If this is the case, then nothing but parish records will help you, I'm afraid.

Paul

Paul Report 19 Sep 2003 21:46

With reference to FreeBMD, not all the records have been transcribed yet. It may be that he is in there somewhere, he just hasn't been found yet. What sometimes happened is that the birth was not registered for a period of time (in some cases years), only becoming necessary for marriage, etc. Don't give up yet Paul

Helen

Helen Report 19 Sep 2003 21:49

Anne Where abouts in Yorks. is Dudley Hill? I can't find it in my UK road atlas! I was checking Ackroyds on the VRI CD for you but need to have an idea of area.

Stan

Stan Report 20 Sep 2003 02:08

Dudley Hill is in Bradford, 2 miles south east of city centre. I hope this helps. Stan Driver

Anne

Anne Report 20 Sep 2003 08:32

Thanks for helpful suggestions. If Ben Ackroyd was neither registered or christened is he lost to the system?

Arthur

Arthur Report 24 Sep 2003 12:36

Try looking again for a male child born, this happened to me and it took me 4 years to find one of my GGGGfathers. not named at birth in 1849, found him on 1851 census 1 year old, hope this helps you. the last colume on a birth certificate is for children named after registration but few parents bothered to let the registar know.

Rachel

Rachel Report 24 Sep 2003 13:41

It might be worth looking at the 1861 census to see if his mother was living with him and the rest of the family. Whilst you can never guarantee that the wife of his father at the time is his mother, it may help. Rachel

Rachel

Rachel Report 24 Sep 2003 13:46

Anne Sorry I've just had another thought. You could check back to the 1851 census and check that the wife is the same in both years, and then as another double chck, you could try and find their marriage to see if that ties in as well. Once you find the father getting married on FreeBMD if you click on the page number it will show all other people getting married registered on that page, which will give you a choice of spouses. Good luck in finding them. Rachel

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Sep 2003 16:44

If you're open to alternative spellings, there's these two on the same page: 1853 Jan-Mar, Akeroyd Benjamin, Bradford Y, 9b 46 1853 Jan-Mar, Akeroyd Fanny, Bradford Y, 9b 46 There were many other spellings, all pronounced Ackroyd. Not so much a question of people changing, more a case of when each family stopped regarding all the versions as freely interchangeable. Anybody's guess

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Sep 2003 16:58

I am having a similar problem finding my g-grandfather George Newman. He is on 1881, 1891 and 1901, his apparent year of birth being 1859, Lambeth, but I have trawled through 1837 from 1858 to 1863 and can't find him anywhere. I ordered 1 certificate from Mar 1858, which seems too early for his age to tally with the censuses, and whilst his father's name is correct, (also George), it lists him as a "stoker at Crystal Palace" whereas on the censuses he is a cabman or driver. The Newmans were Baptists and so there are no Parish Christening records anywhere for any of them. What do others think? Could these Georges be mine? Also, does anybody know if the Baptists hold their records anywhere? Liz STS

Donna

Donna Report 24 Sep 2003 17:55

I am also having the same trouble with my Gt Grandad. Is it true that you had to register a birth before marriage?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 25 Sep 2003 09:00

Any ideas re my George Newmans?