Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can the 1891 census be searched by address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 19 Sep 2003 14:02

Hi Trying again - Lucy kindly looked up a name on census but not able to find. Places Ellen Rylands/Rylance lived:- Grange Lane Little Woolton Liverpool (1872) 9 Sandfield Much Woolton (1881) 2 York Cottages L. Woolton.(1897) Need to fill in details as trying to connect with another Gene' nut. Thanks if you can help. Pat

Janet

Janet Report 19 Sep 2003 14:19

I don't know, if someone has the 1891 census on disc, whether that can be searched by address, but to do it on Ancestry would entail physically reading through page after page of the original handwritten sheets looking for the address in question. This could entail 10 or more Districts, each with 25 or 30 pages, and each page takes quite a while to load, so I really don't think you will find anyone willing to volunteer for such a lookup. But you never know. Jan.

Pat

Pat Report 19 Sep 2003 15:55

Thanks Jan Just have to hope someone has disc & could help - I wouldn't expect someone to spend a long time searching. Only third time I've asked as usually leave site details. Good of you to tell me situation so that I know what problem is rather than being ignored. Kind regards. Pat

Annie in

Annie in Report 19 Sep 2003 16:30

Hi,Pat,there is a Twist family living at Sandfield and Wood living at York cottages [which are in Grange lane] At least I think thats what the names were i'm not very good at deciphering the writing![but it wasn't Rylands]

Pat

Pat Report 19 Sep 2003 18:58

Thank you so much Linda - Diane & Ruth for the searches I do appreciate this Ellen Rylands was born 1872 @ Grange Lane L. Woolton Liverpool 1881 census - 9 Sandfield Much Woolton Liverpool 10yrs 1896 9 Nickleby St Toxeth when she married H Wyke 1897 @ 2 York Cottage M Woolton when she had Ist child think the area was Garston later. Know some of family born Chesterton St Garston Kind regards. Pat

Annie in

Annie in Report 19 Sep 2003 19:25

Hi,looked at the toxteth address but there are only 2 people there,a mother and son.Think the name were Elizabeth and Charles Stewart. I really could never be a transcriber,i'm terrible!

Pat

Pat Report 19 Sep 2003 22:25

Thanks you three - for all your efforts looks like their not at any of these address's. Back to the drawing board. Still I know where Mother & son are maybe I can work on that. If you have any names you want me to look out for let me know. King regards. Pat

Pat

Pat Report 20 Sep 2003 20:42

Hi Linda You could be right -looks as though they have all left home. Don't know any of the other names so she was a proper servant. Out of interest I will try to see if this street is near old home. Doesn't help me with the reason I was first looking to tie in other family but think this is a blind alley for now. Kind regards from Pat