Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Misspelling on Census??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keely

Keely Report 19 Sep 2003 10:48

Hi all, I have just noticed that on the print out i have of my GGgrandad and his family on the 1901 census, there is a misspelling of the surname. The last three children on the list, their surname is spelt Lawkins, when the house hold name is Sawkins. Is this a misselling? And how will I definately know that they were my GGgrandads children?

Keely

Keely Report 19 Sep 2003 11:05

Thanks!! The book I'm reading did say that there were quite a few misspellings with the transcribing. I thought I'd just ask for advice from people who have had hands on experience! I think just to make sure, I will send off for one of the birth Certs, otherwise it will be playing on my mind!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzy

Suzy Report 19 Sep 2003 11:06

Keely Have you looked at the actual image of the 1901 census page? I have found many errors in the transcription, and then looked at the image and seen why mistakes have been made. A lot of the handwriting leaves a lot to be desired and is often written over with ticks and crosses.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Sep 2003 11:14

My first experience of the 1901 Census included finding my Gt Gt G'father (Alfred Springford) and his wife (Fanny) living with his wifes parents, Mark and Minnie Coleman, Mark being the Head of Household. A Beatrice Annie Springford (age 2) was listed as Daughter to Head of Household, but as she had Alfred and his wifes surname I took her to be their daughter. Also there was an Albert Dolman age 5 as son to Head of Household. It was obvious to me that Dolman was a misspelling of Coleman but it was some months before the penny finally clicked that this was my Gt Grandfathers (Alfreds son Alfred born after 1901), illegitimate older brother. So relationships are often confused too. But like has been said before you can't get too clever and assume, best thing is to get the certificates and confirm.

Jenny

Jenny Report 19 Sep 2003 20:05

I had a similar problem with an L and an S. It confused for ages until a more experienced family researcher told me to write the letters in copperplate script. The I realised that what I saw as an S was indeed an L.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Sep 2003 21:28

Don't just blame appalling handwriting. People read what they want to read, and transcribers are no different. It's very easy to change the spelling or even the entire name because you think you see it.

Janet

Janet Report 20 Sep 2003 11:57

Keely There was a message on this tips board last week - can't find it now, but there is a website containing data amendments to the 1901 census. If you look at this, then you will see just how many weird and wonderful mis-transcriptions there were! The easiest way to get to it is just to type '1901 census data amendments' into your search engine, and it will come up. I found it quite amusing! Janet

John

John Report 20 Sep 2003 23:22

Misspelling on census forms is very common for both personal names and place names, particularly if the place names were not within the locality of the place of the census. It is not just transcribing errors, where mistakes are made because handwriting is not very legible. The enumerator often made mistakes when recording names. Many people could not write, even in 1901, and this included their own names. They were therefore often not in a position to know the their correct spelling. John

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Sep 2003 08:59

Hi, don't think its just misspellings either, depends on what the person was known as. I had a Maria Agnes, who was Martha on the first Census, Maria on 1891 and Agnes on 1901. It was only be looking at her age, and finally finding out she was called Maria Agnes, I realised Martha was a misspelling and the others were both her names just used differently!! So u can have problems with first names too!