Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hiding Behind The Sofa Part 2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Sep 2003 22:27

Darbyshire's??? My grandmother was born in 1899, the youngest of 8, her name was Amy. Can I find any of them, can I heck. Not a sign anywhere. She was born in Leigh, I do know that she was orphaned but not in 1901. I have found some darbyshire's but the relevent names dont live together. Is it possible the family was farmed out all over the place? And if so how on earth do I find out which one is one of my family. Maggie

Andy

Andy Report 17 Sep 2003 23:11

Margaret, I have found an Amy DERBYSHIRE on the 1901 census, aged 2, born in Leigh. Here's the household: Thomas DERBYSHIRE, 44, Lancashire Wigan, Coal Miner Hewer Alice DERBYSHIRE, 42, Lancashire Coppull, Maggie DERBYSHIRE, 22, Lancashire Coppull, Cotton Weaver Henry DERBYSHIRE, 20, Lancashire Coppull, Coal Miner Hewer Mary DERBYSHIRE, 9, Lancashire Leigh Alice DERBYSHIRE, 7, Lancashire Leigh Isaac DERBYSHIRE, 5, Lancashire Leigh Amy DERBYSHIRE, 2, Lancashire Leigh Do these look like your ancestors? If so then let me know because there's something else I should point out about these particular results. Andy.

Dave

Dave Report 17 Sep 2003 23:17

Hi Maggie, 1901 Decoder shows the following living in Leigh:- Thomas age 44 b1857 Wigan Alice age 42 b1859 Coppull Maggie age 22 b1879 Coppull Henry age 20 b1879 Coppull John age 16 b1885 Coppull Thomas age 12 b1881 Leigh Mary age 9 b1892 Leigh Alice age 7 b1894 Leigh Isaac age 5 b1896 Leigh Amy age 2 b1899 Leigh Their name is shown as Derbyshire and not with an 'a'. Hope this is useful. Dave

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Sep 2003 13:09

Hi, Thanks very much these are indeed my grandma's family, one odd thing though Isaac is actually called Isaiah. Can I be really cheeky and ask for the address they where living in at the time. G. Grandad and Henry where both killed in a mining accident, but unfortunatly I dont know when or where. Grandma was brought up by Maggie along with the rest of the children when they where orphaned, I think Amy (gran) was about 13 at the time. possibly younger. I have an awful lot of info about Maggie who married a Norris, so if anyone is looking for Norris info I can help with a fair bit of it. Maggie

Dave

Dave Report 18 Sep 2003 15:07

Hi Maggie, The Decoder does not give an address so you will have to pay in the normal way through the Census site unless anyone else can give you that. Good luck! Dave

Andy

Andy Report 18 Sep 2003 21:32

Maggie, I'm not sure if you know but when you use the decoder, a Person ID exists for each ancestor. When I looked at the list of results that the decoder had produced, I noticed that there was a gap in the list of IDs for this family. For example, the last two digits of Henry Derbyshire's ID was 79, whereas Mary Derbyshire's ID (the next Derbyshire in the list) ended in 82. What this means is that there are 2 other people in this household, whose ID's end in 80 and 81. My hunch is that one of these people could be an elder daughter who has got married and the other is her spouse - obviously neither of these will show up under the name Derbyshire. If you pay to view the household then you will find out for certain who these other people are and you will also get the house address. Hope that the description wasn't too wordy! Andy.

Dave

Dave Report 19 Sep 2003 15:08

Hi Maggie, The 'missing' 2 people are John and Thomas on my list. Dave