Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GG grandfather disappeared

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Sep 2003 21:38

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me. Searching for Sam Fillingham born 1863 brighouse, father Joseph. Sam died 1919 married to Annie, sons Joseph Harold and Ernest. on 1901 I can find a James with Joseph Harold but I cant work that one out. The other one is that I have visited this grave and their is also another Sam in the grave died october 1952 aged 98. I can work out all the others in the grave but where he came from I have no idea - anyone have any answers as I am getting frustrated. Thanks in anticipation

Janet

Janet Report 17 Sep 2003 22:11

I would think that the Sam born 1863 and the one who died in 1952 are one and the same - there is only 9 years discrepancy in age, and that doesn't seem to be very much at all, considering. Jan.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Sep 2003 22:19

The one on the grave born 1863 died jan 13 1919, then there is the other one who died October 1952 aged 98?????? confusing

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 18:41

Can anyone help, I know it is confusing, but I'm frustrated. Liz

Annie

Annie Report 18 Sep 2003 19:06

Hi Is he definitely a Sam FILLINGHAM? (sorry if this is a stupid question). I was so intrigued that I looked up 1837 online for all Fillingham's born 1853 and there certainly aren't any Sams. What area are you looking for? I have some reference data here that I can also look in. Best wishes Ann

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 19:20

Hi according to the gravestone he was Sam Fillingham from Brighouse, but so was the other one? All very confusing!!!! Thanks Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 19:20

Hi according to the gravestone he was Sam Fillingham from Brighouse, but so was the other one? All very confusing!!!! Thanks Liz

Annie

Annie Report 18 Sep 2003 19:25

Hiya Yes it is because I have just come hot foot from looking at the Fillingham deaths for 1952 and - guess what? Noone of that age called Fillingham and certainly no Sam at all. What a puzzle! A

George

George Report 18 Sep 2003 19:28

Hi Do you have him in 1881? Joseph FILLINGHAM Head M Male 52 Mirfield, York, England Butcher Ann FILLINGHAM Wife M Female 49 Brighouse, York, England Mary FILLINGHAM Daugh U Female 26 Brighouse, York, England Silk Spreader Eliza FILLINGHAM Daugh U Female 21 Brighouse, York, England Dressmaker Sam FILLINGHAM Son U Male 18 Brighouse, York, England Apprentice Butcher Annie FILLINGHAM Daugh U Female 14 Brighouse, York, England Scholar Arthur W. BOTTOMLEY Grandson U Male 6 Lightcliffe, York, England Scholar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 30 Bethel Street Census Place Hipperholme Cum Brighouse, York, England Here's Sam's dad in 1901: Annie Fillingham 36 Yorks Brighouse Yorkshire W R Brighouse James Fillingham 38 Yorks Brighouse Yorkshire W R Brighouse Butcher Joseph Fillingham 4 Yorks Brighouse Yorkshire W R Brighouse Joseph Fillingham 72 Yorks Mirfield Yorkshire W R Brighouse Living On Own Means Hope it helps George

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 19:35

The Sam you have found in 1881 was the one married to Annie not the one who died in the 50's who also is then refered to as James in the 1901 census. Even more confusing don't you think. This will drive you crazy, it has me.

Crista

Crista Report 18 Sep 2003 19:39

Elizabeth, The details for James on the 1901 census match those of Sam. Could be Sam was transcribed as James. Crista

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 19:41

That is what I have presumed and hoping as I can't cope with any more confusion. I just don't know where the other Sam has come from. Liz

Emma

Emma Report 18 Sep 2003 19:42

Hi, In 1891 they are at 30 Bethel Street, Brighouse: Joseph Fillingham, head, mar, 62, butcher, mirfield Ann Fillingham, wife, mar, 59, Rastrick Eliza Fillingham, daur, sing, 31, dressmakers assistant, brighouse Sam Fillingham, son, sing, 27, butchers assistant, brighouse Annie Fillingham, daur, sing, 24, housemaid, brighouse Ernest B Bottomly, g/son, 12, scholar, brighouse

George

George Report 18 Sep 2003 19:42

I would guess that the James living with Joseph in 1901 was baptised either Samuel James or James Samuel. Or Sam was a nickname for some reason but his actual name was James. Best look for the baptisms to prove any theories George

Annie

Annie Report 18 Sep 2003 19:46

Nope, there's not a James died in 1952 either There's Eric -37, Harry -65, Henry - 65, John - 62, John S -0, Sidney - 75, Thomas - 68 , George -73 - he's Worth Valley, Jack -16 and William - 71 (Ince .. wherever that is!). A

Crista

Crista Report 18 Sep 2003 19:54

Elizabeth, If you search on Fillinghams in the Halifax district you can see Sam's birth and marriage records. Says he was born in 1862. You can also see info. for his sons and father. Crista

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Sep 2003 20:14

Crista, where do I need to search for this and I will have a look. Liz

Crista

Crista Report 18 Sep 2003 20:34

Elizabeth, http://freebmd.rootsweb(.)com/cgi/search.pl Crista

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 18 Sep 2003 20:57

The 1901 does actually say Sam, not James. They could read it as James, but only if they weren't trying, like if they didn't bother to compare it with other names on the page It's not unheard of for people to get buried in the wrong grave owing to a mix-up, especially if there's a long gap between the burials. That might be favourite, if you could find any evidence at all that the other Sam ever actually lived The question I most want the answer to is, who paid for the 1952 burial and memorial? Councils bury people if they have to, but they don't get stonework carved. Whatever happened in 1952 didn't happen on its own, somebody was there, and 1952 isn't that long ago

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 18 Sep 2003 21:49

Another question -- have you got the 1919 death cert? I'm wondering if there's any way Sam could have done a runner and been certified dead in his absence