Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How helpful people are

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rus&

Rus& Report 17 Sep 2003 11:37

I would just like to say that people can be so helpful.Previously back someone had mentioned about the cemetry dept.so today i gave our local department a call to see if they could help me in my search for someone.The only info i had was her name and address in 1915.Less than 5 mins later i got a call back from them.Not only did they tell me where she was buried they also told me when she died and where to find her grave.I was told that she is in a public grave and that there is someone else with her,because it is a public grave there is no headstone but the very helpful lady on the phone said that she is going to the cemetry today and she is going to put a white cross on the grave with the name so that we can go and see it at the weekend.Just thought i would put this on the board as it might be of some help to someone. bye for now kaz

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2003 12:31

Kaz it really is refreshing to see someone saying positive things about people. Back in the 1970s on a Genealogical holiday to Durham I went to a church at Worton, near Barnard Castle. There was a note on the door directing visitors to the Churchwarden's house. So I went and knocked on his door and told him I was hoping to view the parish registers in a search for my ancestors. He invited me in, handed me the Registers, settled me in a comfy chair in front of the fire and provided me with tea and crumpets. I discovered 2 things later. Firstly I realised that I had already searched a Transcript of those registers before. Secondly I discovered that the Churchwarden was in fact Major L.M. Kenyon-Fuller. A distinguished Genealogist himself. And what a Gentleman. Jim

Rus&

Rus& Report 17 Sep 2003 12:38

Dear jim, just read your reply what a lovely story,I am off to my local church on saturday to view the parish records for marriages as they are not in records office.I hope that the vicar there is just as accomodating(it would be nice) bye for now kaz

Allie

Allie Report 17 Sep 2003 22:52

Kaz, Jim, What wonderful stories. I only hope that when I get the time to go and look at the parish records I find nice people too. Allie.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 17 Sep 2003 22:55

Jim, Nothing to do with the tips board, but you just recindled old memories, of being taken to Barnard Castle every weekend when I was a kid, had forgotten those days 'til then , so dug out old sovenirs that they used to sell there, (my word, was that 40+ yrs back!!!). Happy memories they are now. Kim ('mam) Sandhurst