Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How genuine is the info on a birth certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Francesca

Francesca Report 16 Sep 2003 20:45

My g grandmother had five sons. On the first four certificates her name was just Kate Elliott. Then on the fifth one she says her name is Kate Mallett formerly Davies (there was no mention of Davies on the other ones!). I cant find a marriage for her. Do you think she could have lied for some reason?

George

George Report 16 Sep 2003 20:49

She could very well have lied. One of my ancestors knocked two years off his age when he got married a second time and when he died his age was recorded wrongly. George

Janet

Janet Report 16 Sep 2003 20:51

Do you have any names, dates, places so that a couple of census checks could be done? Perhaps she left her husband (or he had left her) and was living with someone else, just used his name even though they weren't married, especially if this child was his. Jan.

Francesca

Francesca Report 16 Sep 2003 21:57

Hi Jan Me and my cousin have checked the 1881 & 1901 census' but have no idea which one she is. We don't know if she was born Elliott or Davies and we don't even know if she married Mallett. But we do know that all the other boys had middle names of Mallet! Its so hard to find the truth...our ancestors were so naughty - not like us!!!

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Sep 2003 23:34

certificates do seem to have conflicting info sometimes, one of mine has annie trim formerly dowell on ist born, annie dowell formerly francis on next 2 cant find trace of any marriages as for census 1891 ahe is ann dowell this is only 1 year after 1st born 1901 she is a widow and no man appears on either, must have been one sometime!! guess its what keeps us searching sandra