Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Restoration Programme That was on.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 16 Sep 2003 10:12

As this was to do with Heritage and past times I'd like to say a huge Thank you to the people that voted for Victoria Baths in Manchester. A splendid building. As a Mancunian currently taking a break from the property/surveying business it saddens me what other beautiful buildings were shown that didn't win. I think this governemnt should be ashamed of themselves that they are letting our heritage go to rack and ruin.Building new is not alway's the answer. Preservation is the future. Sorry but I felt I had to say it. Catherine

John

John Report 16 Sep 2003 10:20

It's not just the government, but locals councils also. In 1968 lots of old Tamworth (in Staffordshire) was destroyed. Medieval houses etc. They built bland shops in their place. Terrible! I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Alison

Alison Report 16 Sep 2003 13:36

I live in Stoke and the Bethesda chapel narrowly missed out. I remember singing in there before it closed, we have some wonderful buildings in the potteries and a lot of them are going to wrack and ruin. Round here even the new buildings arent kept up and most of the traditional industries are closing or already closed.It seems now that well lose the chapel as well another bit of our heritage down the drain.

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Sep 2003 23:11

After watching the Restoration programmed on TV I was pleased that the Victorian Baths in Manchester won the money- although researching my family history in the Stoke-on-Trent area I was rather sorry the Bethesda Chapel did not win. I visited the Baths on Monday - well worth a visit if you live in the area - go and support a worthy winner. Hilary