Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Longstanding brickwall!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie in

Annie in Report 15 Sep 2003 22:24

Moses Cowdrey was baptised in Harrow,Middlesex in 1819,the son of Thomas Cowdrey and Martha Strong. It states in the 1841 middlesex census that neither were from the county and in the 1851 it gives Martha's place of birth as Stratfieldsaye,Hampshire.Unfortunatley,Thomas died in 1850 so I have been unable to find his place of birth.There are a lot of Cowdreys in Stratfieldsaye but I can't find a relevant one,nor can I find their marriage anywhere. Have been stuck at this point for 5 years!Thomas would have been born in the early 1790's or late 80's. Any ideas,please

George

George Report 15 Sep 2003 22:28

I have a similar brick wall, my ancestor Walter Little lived in Alston,CUL till he died in 1828. I can't find his marriage there but all his children were born there. He died before the census and before certs were introduced. George

Sandra

Sandra Report 15 Sep 2003 22:30

Have you tried the Parish records. I was stuck with a Notts rellie and joined the Nottinghamshire Family History Society for a small fee and now I get Parish record searches also they are very helpful. Sandra

Annie in

Annie in Report 15 Sep 2003 22:34

Hi,my dad tried them a couple of years back,thought we'd found him,then found the death for him at age 6months! Not even 100% sure he was born in Stratfieldsaye.

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 Sep 2003 07:29

Rosemary,Thank you very much!

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 Sep 2003 18:03

Hi,Rosemary,Thank you for that,I have actualey had no problem locating Martha,it's just Thomas that seems not to have exsisted until his marriage!