Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I go from here?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 15 Sep 2003 11:31

I have come up against that perennial genealogical head-scratcher - trying to trace rellies after 1901. I have tried tracing two of my great-uncles, William Yates Cook and Herman Lloyd Cook and have had some success in finding out what happened to them. Due to their names being somewhat unique, I slogged through the marriage index entries and found a marriage for William in 1916 and a marriage for Lloyd in 1925. Thankfully, Lloyd married someone with a fairly uncommon surname, which made it possible for me to look through the birth index, and find two daughters - one born in 1926 and another born in 1931. Unfortunately, William's bride's maiden name was Foster and there are too many Foster/Cook combinations in the birth index for me to be confident about finding any possible children. Although William got married in Wednesbury in the West Midlands (part of Staffordshire at the time), he could have moved to anywhere following then, which is why I'm not sure how I can progress any further in trying to find him and his family. I have heard some of you talk about electoral rolls but the impression I got, was a bit of a thumbs down for them. Anyone got any other suggestions? It feels somewhat frustrating that there are possibly cousins of my father who are out there somewhere but can't be found!

Ann

Ann Report 15 Sep 2003 11:53

Hi Andy I know how you feel. I am looking without success for the origins of Robert Cooke or Cook, unfortunately he married an Elizabeth King a name even more common than Cook. Unfortunately after trawling through hundreds of possible marriage of Rob. Cook/e and Eliz.. Kings they do not come together anywhere so I am in the same boat as yourself. Ann

Andy

Andy Report 15 Sep 2003 12:24

Hi Ann, Thanks for your support. I'm thankful that after much searching I've managed to find their marriage certs, as well as 2 daughters for one of them, but obviously you always want to know more and won't be satisfied until you've managed to link them to a present day family. Best of luck with your rellies. Andy.