Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Indian War could it be

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Sep 2003 21:20

Hi all I am having problems trying to work out what my great great grandfather was doing in India. It was mentioned he was in the Army. so I am presuming he was in India in some sort of war. He had two children in India one in 1876 and another in 1881, He was born in Westminster in 1843 and in 1891 he was a housing Agent I think. and in 1901 a insurance agent and after that he ran a lot of pubs. so I am not really sure why he was in India. So if anybody has any ideas would be much apreciated. Thank you Debbie

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2003 21:23

The Indian Mutiny of 1857-1858, which was followed by British occupation of India for very many years to come. Go to a search engine and type in Indian Mutiny and you will get a lot of information about it. Jan.

Debbie

Debbie Report 14 Sep 2003 21:48

Thanks Jan I did do a search but it was the 1880s he was out there. Thank you Debbie

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2003 22:05

I'm not too sure of the dates, but I know the British were in India well into the 20th century, I believe after the end of the second World War. Lord Mountbatten was the last viceroy. In the late 1800s single British girls used to go out to India carrying a trousseau with them, because there were so many single British officers out there, and so few single British ladies, that they knew they would very soon be married. Jan.

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 Sep 2003 22:07

Found this site which lists 19th century wars and campaigns. Don't know if it's of any use to you but have a gander anyway! Cheers. www(.)capefam(.)freeserve(.)co(.)uk/19c%20wars(.)htm Tracey, Bolton

Debbie

Debbie Report 15 Sep 2003 12:39

Thanks Jan for that, perhaps that is why my gg grandmother was in India in 1876 when the first child was born, she would have been about 19 then. And thankyou Tracey this does look a good site for anybody wants different times for Wars. Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 15 Sep 2003 14:44

John Thanks for that, I shouldnt have taken it the wrong way. No offence taken and hopefully non given. I should not have said anything. Sorry Debbie

John

John Report 15 Sep 2003 15:38

I'm glad you said something. I'll be more careful in the way I type things in future. I nearly always think faster than I type! I can't get my words out fast enough. Regards John :o))