Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ive tried trying to find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Freda

Freda Report 14 Sep 2003 18:12

Ive tried the trying to find board with no sucess. I Live in Cumbria so find it difficult to get down to Warrington to check records down there. I have 2 sets of great grandparents. I am trying to find what my grt grndfthrs first name was his wife re-married so Im stumped. The name is Whittaker, her name was Mary Ann my grndfthr was Richard b c1862 he had 2 sisters Margaret b c1860 & Elizabeth b c1864. The other Name is Bate Samuel and Elizabeth b 1824 & 1829 I found them on the 1881 census but cant get futher back.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2003 18:19

Have you tried looking in Family Search (URL in Links section) for the record of their birth/christening? That often lists names of parents, and sometimes siblings. Jan.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 14 Sep 2003 18:39

Hi, The birth certificate of one of his children will give his full name. Hope this helps, Gwynne

SueS

SueS Report 14 Sep 2003 22:35

Freda as already suggested, get a birth certificate which will give you lots of information. FreeBMD has a Richard Whittaker whose birth is registered at Warrington in the March quarter of 1862...he could be yours. If you give them a call, I'm sure you can order on the basis that the mother must be a Mary Ann. There will still be a charge but not as much as getting the wrong certificate. Sue

Freda

Freda Report 15 Sep 2003 18:21

Ive tried igi but can only find them on the 1881 census and the are living with their stepdad. Free bmd is acting up at present if i get one site the other is off line frustrating isnt it. Thanks for the help. The Richard you picked up on is the one,his sister margaret 1860, Elizabeth 1864,