Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dont it make you feel like crying....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 11 Sep 2003 19:41

Some of you may remember various cries for help on one George Thresher, and a thank you to all of you for your advice, expecially Elton and Robin who came up with a cert reference. BUT the GRO tell me the records do not match. I really feel like crying at this moment in time as I dont know how else I can confirm if the guy I believe to be my gr grandad really is? As I cant seem to get the birth cert how else can I find out who his parents really are? Any suggestions whatsoever, would be gratefully received. Depressed Donna

Gen

Gen Report 11 Sep 2003 19:48

Hi Donna, What part of the country and what years are we talking about, would he appear on any census as a child? Gen

Donna

Donna Report 11 Sep 2003 19:58

I have got lots of info on him, if its the right George. Born 1856 ish, Shenley Hertfordshire. I have him on the 1891 census residing with his father in law, where it states just hertfordshire as the birth county. 1881 shows a George Thresher right age as an able seaman in Portsmouth, this shows Shenley. I also have a George Thresher on 1861 in Shenley aged 5 years, father Thomas mother Ellen. I have the marriage cert which shows father Thomas. I am 99% convinced that this is my George, but as I cant even find his death it all seems vague.

Gen

Gen Report 11 Sep 2003 21:12

Hi again Donna, Have you tried the Shenley parish records, it looks like he may have had two other brothers Thomas b 1864 and Frederick b 1858 and a sister Ann b 1851 there are so few Threshers born in Shenley it seems likely they are related. I am going to the BMD office in London next week I will have a look for you if you like. Gen

Donna

Donna Report 12 Sep 2003 19:04

Genivieve you are a star, if you come across anything please let me know. I have lots of Threshers born in and around Shenley but as I said I need to know this is my George and only a birth cert will tell me that. All I know is his father is Thomas so a George Thresher father Thomas born anywhere approx 1856 would be great. Thanx a million

Gen

Gen Report 14 Sep 2003 01:52

Hi Donna, I am going on either Tues or Wed of next week and will let you know asap if I find anything. Gen

Ruth

Ruth Report 14 Sep 2003 11:54

Donna, if the GRO route hasn't worked how about trying the local registrar's office? I note that you can order certificates online from Hertfordshire - see www.hertsdirect.org/infoadvice/register/copycert/. As they will have an entirely different index perhaps George won't have fallen between the cracks there. Ruth

Donna

Donna Report 14 Sep 2003 18:12

Ive had Herts doa serach and they cant find him either. Unfortuantely working all week long I dont get a chance to go to the records centres myself. But I have paid to have searches done by HALS and the GRO. I really cant hink how else I can find out who his mother really is?