Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

unmarked photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susana

Susana Report 11 Sep 2003 13:55

When my grandfather died I found some very very old photo albums. I know they are all family members, I just don't know much else. This drives me crazy because i'm having trouble tracing my family past my grandfather and all the answers are in these photos. May this be a lesson to us all to write on the back of our photos with names and dates. Susana xx

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Sep 2003 14:03

Susana Know how you feel, I have loads. One of them is a wedding group, no idea who any of them are. Only know that they are probably my great grandfathers side. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Sep 2003 14:07

Hi Susana, I had a similar situation and thought that I would never find out who the people in the photographs were which would have been taken around the 1920's. My Grandmother died giving birth to my mother in 1927. All I had were a few photos that my mother didn't even know who they were as she had no contact with that side of the family.I have now traced living rellies and found that one of my new found cousins had they same photos in her albumn. These photos were taken around 1920 and I now know who they all were. So don't give up hope.... Just wish my Mother was still around to meet all her 'lost' family. Regards Margaret

Samantha

Samantha Report 11 Sep 2003 14:21

Susana, I've got the same problem. I was given two albums (circa 1880-1900) and luckily a few had names on. I wish people had written on the back as it is lovely to put a name to the picture. Some of mine have photographers details and print numbers on, I know its a long shot but I'm going to see if some are still in business. Sam

Susana

Susana Report 11 Sep 2003 14:23

I hope I have as much luck as you did. I even have a photo of my great grandmothers grave I know she died in London but have no idea where the grave is. I have the address of where she lived in the early 1920's but can't trace them on the 1901 census. just seem to get brick wall after brick wall. Susana xx

Susana

Susana Report 11 Sep 2003 14:27

Hi Sam I also have studio details on the back. Will also be looking to see if they are still in business but some say they only hold the negatives etc for 20 years. Let me know how you get on. Susana x

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 11 Sep 2003 20:26

I have a photo and the names were on the back, but meant nothing too me as I was unaware of the lady's married name. My grandmother explained that the photo was of her aunt and her family, taken especially because the aunt and co were emigrating to Canada. It is the only known photo of the family, so don't give up - some of them are undiscovered gems.