Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BT anytime

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 10 Sep 2003 10:40

Is anybody having problems using the above. For a month now I have had problems getting a connection, it was taking up to 30 mins. I contacted them and they gave me some instructions for an alternative dial-up they use for busy times. Now I connect very quickly in busy times but the connection is so weak I can not even get the browser or it lets me get into writing e-mails then disconnects. In the daytime it takes up to 30 mins to get a connection. It has just taken a whole hour, I was in the middle of a messsage to this site when last disconnected. Also I am on the 3rd floor of a block of flats with an internal connection box etc

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Sep 2003 10:49

I see that BT's service hasn't improved. We used them for a month only about four years ago, couldn't take the rubbish service any longer. Went to AOL then, now using AOL broadband. BT used the other number excuse for busy times all that time ago and are still using it I see. My advise is: Dont use BT for the internet!! Margaret

Maxine

Maxine Report 10 Sep 2003 11:11

Hi there I have just switched from BT weekends and evenings to BT anytime. The weekend and evenings was fantastic - I never had any problems at all, however I have found anytime much slower, and have had problems connecting on occasion. Overall I would say my main gripe is the speed rather than the connection (although that doesn't help!) Anyone got any recommendations? Maxine

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Sep 2003 11:23

I have used Freeserve Anytime for a couple of years and generally found it to be very good. I have (well am trying to) switched to their Broadband service and it is proving a real pain to get set up, I've spent well over three hours onto their helpline so far over the last three weeks, thought we'd got it sussed last Friday but now cannot connect although all the right lights and icons are showing.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Sep 2003 11:36

BT ANYTIME Vs TESCO NET ANYTIME IVE JUST HAD NEARLY 48 HOURS OF HELL DUE TO UPGRADING ONLINE FROM DAYTIME TO ANYTIME ON TESCO NET. FROM SUNDAY 3pm TILL TUESDAY 11am I WAS CONSTANTLY ON THE PHONE BEING HELD IN THEIR QUES .OR BEING TALKED THROUGH INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. (IT REFUSED TO LET ME LOG ON (INVALID PASSWORD ECT) ) NONE OF THE FAULT WAS MINE. FINALLY WITHIN MINUTES OF SPEAKING TO SOMEONE YESTERDAY HE RESUBMITTED MY DETAILS I WAS CONNECTED, WHY OH WHY THIS COULDN'T HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE HEAVEN KNOWS. AFTER SENDING THEM 2 ANGRY BUT POLITE EMAILS, THEY WILL MOW RE-EMBURSE THE COSTS OF THE CALLS THAT I MADE TO THEM.WHEN MY BILL IS RECIEVED BY THEM. COMPLAIN, AND STATE WHAT YOU THINK THEIR SERVICE IS LIKE, AND ASK THEM TO EITHER MAKE UP FOR THEIR SHODDY SERVICE OR YOU'LL GO ELSEWHERE. ELAINE X

Ann

Ann Report 10 Sep 2003 12:30

Thanks Elaine I have been complaining and this is their last chance. I am going away next week, when I get back I am going to change, perhaps to AOL. Only went to BT in the first place as they are British and thought I should support them. I am going to try the Americans next. Ann

Janet

Janet Report 10 Sep 2003 12:40

I'd like to stick up for BT. I'm on BT Together 24/7. I have, on rare occasions, had a problem with connection, but on those occasions most people seem to have had a problem, whoever they were with. I think it was blamed on viruses slowing everything down. I've no complaints at all! Janet

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 10 Sep 2003 12:50

I'm on FSNET who aren't much better than BT and Saints preserve us from AOL. I reckon there's a conspiracy to get us all to buy Broadband, as my provider has deteriorated considerably over the last few months, throwing me off regularly.

Anna

Anna Report 10 Sep 2003 13:23

I have had BT Broadband since last October,previously using bt home highway and i find my BT connection terrible,for something that is supposedly "always on",i find im offline more often than i am able to get on!It just disconnects me without any warning and sometimes is off for hours at a time.BT looked into this and after 6 months they decided that I live too far from the exchange to be able to get Broadband!!

Ann

Ann Report 10 Sep 2003 13:34

Dorothy I also suspect it is a plan to get us on Broadband. I have had good service from BT anytime for well over 2 years and it was only at the begining of August I started having problems.And what problems.I do not want broadband at the moment but when I do it wont be bt unless they pull their socks up. This is my third connection in 30 mins.How long it will last I dont know, hopefully long enough to post this. Ann

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 10 Sep 2003 14:59

I have been with BT anytime for about 2 years and other than problems when all networks are experiencing problems, everything has always been good. I do not get disconnected half way through talking on messenger as a lot of my contacts do by their suppliers. At busy times it can take a few attempts to log on. Other than that - no probs. Jacky

Helen

Helen Report 10 Sep 2003 15:20

Hi Ann When I switched to BT anytime (who I am still currently with) we experienced similar problems ie. could not connect properly or when we eventually did, it kept disconnecting - extremely frustrating! I rang and they sent an engineer out and it turned out to be a fault on the line. Because it was an old one, there was a lot of noise and crackle on the line which keept booting out the connection constantly. Engineer changed absolutely everything perceivable right back to the exchange and we have had no problems since. Maybe get them to check yours! Best wishes Helen x

Ann

Ann Report 10 Sep 2003 16:33

Thanks Helen I might do that, sounds like the same thing. I have only had this problem since the 1st August until then I have had very few problems. Maybe it is the phoneline and it is just deteriorated. Ann

Alison

Alison Report 10 Sep 2003 17:05

Im with Bttogether and had a problem a few months ago with trying to connect to the internet and being disconnected all the time but my phone seemed fine. BT came out and checked the box out side which was badly corroded they fixed it straight away and Ive had no problems since

Janet

Janet Report 10 Sep 2003 21:17

Think I'll say this quietly but I've been using 'BT Click' for years without a single problem! Janet

Ann

Ann Report 11 Sep 2003 11:39

Alison, Helen How do you get the line check. Have phoned BT this morning but they will not check for internet connections. Have tried the openworld help no , 50p a minute but nobody answers. They do not answer e-mails. Frustrated Ann. Only just managed to get a decent connection from 8.30am

Helen

Helen Report 11 Sep 2003 11:51

The best ISP I've used for getting good connections was Tiscali. Really fast connection, always working even when others seemed to have problems. The only reason I had to stop using them was because their 'anytime' contract actually only allows you 150 hours per month and I exceeded that two months running (I know, that's five hours per day, how did I manage to exceed that, blame GC!!!)and they disconnected me. I recently switched to Virgin who are so-so, occasionaly can't get mail or things are going slow. Anyone got any other good suggestions?

Ann

Ann Report 11 Sep 2003 12:05

Hi helen, just posted a message boasting I had a connection for 15 mins and lo and behold it disconnected as I posted it, so lost it , so here we go again. Thanks for your suggestions and anyothers anybody can make. I am suppose to have 150 hours a month with BT but I spend that amount of time just trying to get connected. Here goes again Ann