Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with a marriage please!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Sep 2003 22:20

Hi, I've been struggling to find a marriage for my g-grandma's parents for ages. Can't find nothing on BMD or IGI. I know his name was John Newell/Newall born about 1834 in Todmorden(erringden),West Yorkshire. According to the 1871 census his wifes name was Grace but i don't know what her maiden name was and it's very frustrating!! By 1881 census he was a widower. Their first child was born about 1859 so i'm thinking they were married before this date but you never know do you? Can anyone help me with this please? Thanks. Tracey ,Bolton

Pamela

Pamela Report 5 Sep 2003 23:13

Tracey, you could look for the wifes death cert between 1871 and 1881. If you get that it will give you some information about age, address and such, or go for a childs birth certificate if you have the dates, since this will give her maiden name and give you more to go on. Remember people told fibs to census enumerators and the ages and places of birth may be approximation, erroneous beliefs, or intentionally incorect so be prepared to look beyond what you think you `know'. Best of luck Pam P