Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone got a 1881 and/or 1891 Scottish Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 5 Sep 2003 14:16

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find someone on Scotlandspeople, as you don't seem to be able to use wildcards and I have used up my credits trying all the combinations I can think of. The person I am looking for could appear as Margaret or Emily (or some variation such as "M. Emily" while the surname could be Heron-Maxwell-Blair or some part of this. (In later life she was known as Emily Maxwell) She was born c 1870 in Minto, father's name Edward (c. 1821-1890) I am pretty sure she would have still been in Scotland in 1881 as she was supposed to have had a Scottish accent as an adult (and I can't find her on Family Search either!). She had moved to London by 1901. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help. Many thanks Ruth

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 5 Sep 2003 14:45

I have looked on the 1881 census for Scottish Highlands and Lowlands using all possible combinations of the name Emily / Margaret and Edward with the surnames but I am sorry no results. Jacky

Ruth

Ruth Report 5 Sep 2003 14:50

Thank you very much for trying Jacky. I wonder where they got to?! All I know for certain is his death and her birth... Thanks again Ruth

Jane

Jane Report 5 Sep 2003 15:12

Hi I also looked them up on the 1881 census in Scotland and couldn't find them. However there are plenty of Emily Maxwells all over the country 3 born 1870. Could she be living somewhere else. Jane

Ruth

Ruth Report 5 Sep 2003 15:39

Thanks for looking Jane. It's possible they might be somewhere else but I haven't had any luck with England, Wales etc so far. Ruth

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2003 21:38

Hi Ruth, Wildcards can be used. Hope this helps you for the furture. Good luck with your searching. Using wildcards on Scotlands People. Wildcards are a useful search tool when you're uncertain of spelling, using the asterisk * and question mark ? characters. Substitute * for zero or more characters Substitute ? for one character only Example: M*CGREGOR would return MCGREGOR and MACGREGOR. Example: BRYD?N would return BRYDON, BRYDEN, BRYDAN. Be as specific as you can with wildcards, as you don't want to return an unwieldy number of search results: Example: BRYD* would return any names that began with Bryd, such as BRYDON, BRYDAN, BRYDALL, BRYDENTON, BRYDSON etc. Example: MCDON* would return MCDONALD, MCDONALL, MCDONAGHUE etc. If you are searching for Mc vs. Mac, it may be quicker to search them separately. Why not try out a wildcard search using the free surname search on our home page? Regards Margaret