Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

im stuck new to this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 1 Sep 2003 12:50

ive been given a list by my great uncle as far back as my g.g.grandfather JOSEPH CLEWLEY,ESTEMATED BIRTH c1850 ish he married a jane susanna karner. my g.grandfather was born in 1875.in the london area. ive tried free bmd but found neither! what do i do next?can anyone help? elaine x

Gary

Gary Report 1 Sep 2003 13:17

Check the 1881 census. See links at the bottom of the list on the left. Gary

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 1 Sep 2003 13:20

Im checking the 1891 census for you Claire

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 1 Sep 2003 13:29

Iv found the birth of Jane Susannah Karner in the december quarter 1838 in Lambeth,

SueS

SueS Report 1 Sep 2003 13:36

Elaine family recollections can be a bit misleading so you have to explore outside the dates and names. Couldn't find much for you but you might consider this family caller KIRNER living at 123 Oxford St, London in 1881 Joseph, widower age 64 boot/shoe maker Jane E unmarr dau 41 Mary A unmarried daur age 38 Susannah unmarr daug age 36 born Marylebone

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 1 Sep 2003 14:27

thanx everyone without any idea and without any cash this can be difficult!! elaine x

John

John Report 1 Sep 2003 14:55

Elaine What was the name of your gt grandfather? I searched the 1901 census and only found one Joseph Clewley with a Jane Clewley, but the birth years are earlier than the 1850's. However their son's birth year was 1875. They were living in Enfield Middlesex Joseph Clewley age 65 born 1836 Crowell Oxfordshire coach builder Jane Clewley 63 born Vauxhall, Lambeth London 1875 vellum sewer William Clewley 26 born 1875 Battersea London - agricultural worker John

John

John Report 1 Sep 2003 15:05

Elaine. I just found on FreeBMD a birth year for Jane Sussanah Karner as 1838. Place of birth "Lambeth". The age variation may appear for a number of reasons. The name is uncommon and was the only one for the whole UK. This matches the place of birth for Jane Clewley in 1901 (also born Lambeth) and the age is probably close enough too. John

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 1 Sep 2003 15:15

my gt grandfather was born 11 march 1875 william richard clewley place of birth was indeed 6 woodgate st battersea. i think that you have found them!! they were from that enfield area! where do i go from there?

John

John Report 1 Sep 2003 16:43

Elaine The next step is to look for information re Joseph Clewley born c 1836 in Crowell Oxfordshire and Jane Susannah Karner born in Lambeth c 1836-38. This will prove harder because registration of births only started in 1837. The only available records may be parish records of baptisms. Information depends on records that have been transcribed by volunteers and interested parties. You may find more on the LDS site or Genuki. If you can find information about the marriage date of Joseph and Jane you could get a copy of the certificate (it will cost £7 if ordered online from the GRO). Similarly you could obtain a copy of Jane's birth certificate because we already know the reference for that from FreeBMD (ie Lambeth volume 4 page 241). These should give information about their respective parents. You also have other siblings of your gt grandfather that Rosemary listed. You could explore them as well. John

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 1 Sep 2003 20:27

Elaine and John You obviously hadnt read me e-mail from earlier,,sometimes I dont know why I bother,

John

John Report 1 Sep 2003 23:28

woops sorry Claire

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 2 Sep 2003 10:18

CLAIRE SORRY IF I GAVE U THE INPRESSION THAT I WASN'T INTERESTED IN YOUR REPLY. IN BETWEEN GOING ONLINE IM SEEING TO THE KIDS, HOUSEWORK ECT. IM ONLY ONLINE UNTIL 4PM. I ONLY PAY £5.99 PER MONTH FOR TESCO NET WHICH RUNS FROM 2AM -4PM. I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE WHO IS TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME. I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP. JOHN THANX YOU HAVE UNEARTHED MORE SIBLINGS THAN MY UNCLE KNEW ABOUT! MANY THANKS AGAIN ELAINE X

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 2 Sep 2003 10:58

My apologies too,I was having a bad day,,,hormones and stuff,,no reason to sound off though,Let us know if you need more help. Claire