Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death in Mysterious Circumstances

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 29 Aug 2003 19:20

I have a death certificate for James Duffy, dated 6 September 1878 which states cause as 'Peritonitis caused by an injury to the bowel by a blow but how or by whom the blow was given there is no sufficient evidence to show'. Under the section headed Informant it states 'Certificate received from Sidney Street Deputy Coroner for Manchester Inquest held 9 September 1878'. There is no wife's name shown and the age is a bit out. So, does anyone know where I can get access to inquest records, or even newspaper reports to try to establish whether I have the right certificate for my GGGrandfather? Thanks Lynne

Beryl

Beryl Report 29 Aug 2003 20:16

Lynne does Manchester record office not have any newspapers microfilmed? Perhaps you could ring them and ask -they may know something about Coroners' reports too. Not much help I know but someone else may come up with a better brainwave! Good luck. Beryl Darlington DUR

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 29 Aug 2003 21:35

Just checked 'Ancestral Trails' - brill book, put it on your Xmas list! "Many coroners records have been lost or destroyed. Any records surviving from before 1875 are now preserved....open to the public after 75 years. ...inquest verdicts....were often reported by newspapers. Most surviving coroners records are at the PRO or County Record Offices." For newspaper records I would suggest asking the County Record Office for their ideas. Good Luck!!

Jane

Jane Report 30 Aug 2003 05:56

Lynne Have you tried a2a(.)pro(.)gov(.)uk? These are transcriptions of all court hearings, sessions records etc. Good luck Jane Leeds

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 30 Aug 2003 08:46

Hello Jane Thanks for the tip on a2a. Just what I have been looking for Shirley

Lynne

Lynne Report 30 Aug 2003 09:49

Shirley Thanks for your email, I have replied this morning. Lynne

Lynne

Lynne Report 30 Aug 2003 09:58

Jane Thanks for the link, I had a look but could only find reference to inquests up to 1868. Not sure if was looking in the right place though, it didn't seem to have any actual records, just lists of catalogues. Anyway, thanks again. Lynne

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 30 Aug 2003 10:44

Lynne, If you are in Manchester, or can find someone who is try the library. I found an inquest report for a member, in our local library. The newspaper was from 1880s and gave a lot of detail. Just a thought. Elisabeth

Vera

Vera Report 30 Aug 2003 11:04

Lynne We have the newspapers in the Central Library. Vera