Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is joining SOG a good idea?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 29 Aug 2003 19:02

I was thinking of joining SoG as it appears membership gains you access to lots of on-line stuff and access to their library. I don't belong to any group at the moment (apart from this one!) so any info from members would be great! Julie Tebb

Vera

Vera Report 29 Aug 2003 20:55

Hi Julie Just had a quick look at their web page. If you have a local Family History Society in your county it would be cheaper to join that one (in my opinion). Mine in Manchester is £12 per year and I have the use of out library facilities, the BMD indexes, census, free internet use on computers, quarterly journals by post at no extra cost and load of friends to ask if I get stuck. Worth looking into and comparing. Vera Manchester

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 29 Aug 2003 22:21

This sounds daft, but what if your local FHS is not the one where your relatives come from? None of my family have lived in my county, so would the SoG be a better option for me?

Keith

Keith Report 29 Aug 2003 22:27

Hi Julie. I'm with Vera. SOG is fascinating for a visit, but it is in London, it is expensive and I believe you get better value from your Local History Society and Record Office. You are not restricted to one Local History Society so spread yourself

Anna

Anna Report 30 Aug 2003 11:29

yes yes and yes again. It is a fantaistic resource. I agree that joining your local society is a good idea as you get real people contact. If your relatives are in a different area than join that area for a while and get the local info. however even if you can not get to London SOG has a lot to offer. Check out the web sight. Do what you can locally and from home but SOG is almost bound to have somthing only they have. If you can visit then have some idea what you want to do as you will be spoilt for choice when you get there. I treat myself to an annual day out and 'kid in a sweet shop' dosn't come close to describing the day. Give it a go.

Julie

Julie Report 30 Aug 2003 17:01

thanks everyone, i think i may join mainly because the area my husbands family are from is on the border of nottinghamshire and derbyshire, so it is difficult to know which is the right area to search!, I'll probably look into joining my own local one as well for the support etc!

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 30 Aug 2003 17:29

Julie, Does your Tebb line have any connection to Cotham, a little village in Nottinghamshire. By coincidence, I have just got copies of 1901 census pages for Cotham, for the Heritage Weekend next week. There are some Tebbs mentioned in it. Elisabeth

Melba64

Melba64 Report 30 Aug 2003 17:40

I joined my local FHS in Coventry and went to one of their Help nights. I also joined the Manchester and Lancashire one jointly with my mum who still lives there at a cost of £15. This means that I can get her to go and check up things for me if I can't get there myself. I joined the Internet group and get lots of emails with useful ideas and information. A really good service. Melanie