Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hertford or London?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Aug 2003 16:36

I've been stuck for a few months on my great, great grandfather Alfred Worboys, or Warboys, who according to the 1881 and 1891 censuses was born around 1848 in Hertford. I've spent time at the Herts. Registry Office and sent for his marriage certificate which gives his father as Thomas Warboys, also ploughed through 1837 online but can't find his birth, so I'm wondering if it was ever registered. Alfred was married to Jane Gorrod in Shoreditch, London in 1869, but I don't know when he moved to London or whether he moved there with his father or on his own. He and his father were both carpenters or cabinet makers. I have got a probable baptism in 1848, mother Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) and a possible sister Elizabeth baptised Hertford 1852. If anyone has easy access to censuses for Hertford 1851, or Hertford or London 1861 and can find any trace of the above that would assist greatly. I will return to Hertford myself at some point, but it will be several weeks before I can do that.

Donna

Donna Report 26 Aug 2003 18:04

The GRO will do a search for you as long as you have approx, year, place and fathers name, the cretificate takes a while to come through, but I have had exactly the same problem with a Hertfordshire birth. Donna P.S - Am still waiitng on the certificate but they did say 3 weeks.

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Aug 2003 23:47

Thanks for that, Donna, I might resort to that eventually.

BrianW

BrianW Report 28 Aug 2003 10:38

Just to bring it back to the top in case anyone can help.

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Aug 2003 17:33

brian hi, If you go to familysearch site and go to the IGI search type in worboys and batch no C048111 (Thats no o not letter) there are lots of worboys and I think your alfred is the one born 27th sept 1848 father thomas mother sarah, have a look see what you think Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 29 Aug 2003 15:37

thought I would bring this back to top cos not sure if you got my message sandra

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Aug 2003 23:07

Sandra and Amanda Thanks for the info., I've only just looked at the message again and seen the replies,I'd almost given up hope. The 1871 entry could be correct, since they were married in 1869 and their first child (my grandfather Albert) was born in 1872, although Jane was born 26/7/1845, so should have been 25 on the 1871 census, not 23. Just off to follow up the IGI lead.

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Aug 2003 01:00

Sandra Unfortunately, I don't think that's the one as it is in Hitchin, Herts, not Hertford, Herts. The closest looks like Alfred Warboys christened 23/7/1848 at St Andrews, Hertford, parents Thomas and Elizabeth, but I can't find that on 1837online or at the record offices, which is why I need the 1851 and/or 1861 censuses to confirm or eliminate. Thanks for the suggestion, though.