Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Census Question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 24 Aug 2003 20:12

I use the 1901 Census Decoder and find it great. By using the decoder is there any way of finding our who lived at a particular address? My gr grandfather appears to have still been living in 1901 (although I can find no information on sp) I am guessing that it is the correct person, due to the area, age, name and occupation. I have 1891 information with address and wanted to see if by chance he was still residing at same address. The name - william Brooks - is common enough that I wanted to try and find out more information before paying to look at the Census (as I have already paid for several looks that were not relevant on various relatives) As there are far more knowledgeable people on this list, than myself, I just thought I would ask. Thank you for any information you an supply Penny

Mystified

Mystified Report 24 Aug 2003 20:24

I think you are going to have to pay. The decoder will only group people living together. All I can suggest is put all the names you have in the decoder and see if they are together then there is a good chance that's the one to d/load. Hope you understand that.

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 20:29

I think John is right - unless you know the names of the people he was living with & I am assuming they are not the same name as his, otherwise you would already have picked him up. It may be worth haveing a stab at married daughters, if you know their married name. You will need to do the searches in one session though to get the page IDs to tie up, as they change with each session. Regards Maxine

Penny

Penny Report 24 Aug 2003 21:40

Thank you Maxine and John for your quick response. In 1901 William Brooks would either have just been with his spouse (Sarah) or on his own (to best of my knowledge) Their youngest daughter born in 1881 was my grandmother. She was married in 1900 and I have the married name of another daughter as well. I used the decoder and found both in 1901 census but William Brooks is not living with either. (I had thought of that when I found my grandmother and she had a baby less than a year old) My grandfather was in the War at the time and I thought perhaps she was either living with her sister (they were close) or with her parents, but apparently not. I do not have the married names of the other girls and cannot find her brother (so presume he may have been off to the war as well) I didn't think I would be able to do an address search and get the resident BUT before I paid I thought it was worth asking. Thanks again Penny