Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Double Marriage - Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 23 Aug 2003 17:54

My great grandparents married in church in Aldershot in 1890. I was therefore just a bit surprised to receive from a cousin a copy of an 1892 marriage certificate indicating that they married at Farnham Register Office. Details on both certificates are consistent except that great grandfather seems to have gained four years more than he should have done, and great grandmother's Christian names have been reversed. I am therefore satisfied that both certificates relate to the same couple. Interestingly, the 1891 Census shows my great grandmother as married and living at home with a child - but great grandfather was living in barracks, and appears as single! The marriage survived until my great grandfather's death in 1903 and there were several more children. Can anybody offer an explanation as to what might have gone on here?

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 24 Aug 2003 08:32

Hi Amanda, Thanks for your thoughts on this. If the 1871, 1881 and 1891 Censuses are to be believed my great grandfather would have been of age for both marriages. Not being of age might just be a possibility for my great grandmother. It will certainly be interesting to see what others on here have to say. Thanks again. David