Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with a Welsh village name...Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 22 Aug 2003 11:47

Hi, can some one please tell me where Llansadrwn is or was in Wales.Probably somewhere in South Wales.Thank you Julie.

Therese

Therese Report 22 Aug 2003 12:36

Llansadrwn is near the Menai Bridge in Anglesey. Here is a weblink to confirm the location. http://www.thelocalweb.net/ListingByID.asp?id=%20117676

Valice in

Valice in Report 22 Aug 2003 19:12

I think I have come across that village name in the Swansea area too, there are likely to be a number of places with the same name in Wales

John

John Report 24 Aug 2003 16:13

There are 2 villages called Llansadwrn in Wales. Therese gives Anglesey and the one that Valerie refers to is probably the one between Llandeilo and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire, although not really near to Swansea. "Sadwrn" is welsh for Saturday. "Llan" is the welsh for a parish or village. John

Julie

Julie Report 24 Aug 2003 19:46

Hi, thanks for your help.The Llansadwrn I`m looking for is probably the one near Llandeilo,Llandovery.But I´m checking on it to make sure. As I didn`t have a clue before you`ve all helped a lot. Thanks, Julie.

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 24 Aug 2003 21:09

Noswaith dda ich y gyd. "Llan" means The church of the Saint... in this case Saint Saturday! iechyd da Roger

mab

mab Report 25 Aug 2003 11:51

Roger, suspecting you might be welsh (!), I have ancestors from Blaina(Mon) and have been wondering if this is pronounced "Blay-na" or "Bligh-na". What would you think? Marian

Michelle

Michelle Report 25 Aug 2003 11:55

The second one Marian

mab

mab Report 25 Aug 2003 12:19

Thank you Michelle

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 25 Aug 2003 16:18

No i'm not Welsh but lived there for a while. The Welsh language is phonetic and the vowels (the English ones anyway) are pronounced as you would teach a young child to spell. Another pronunciation tip is to put the stress on the second to last syllable. Good luck Roger

mab

mab Report 26 Aug 2003 13:08

Thank you Roger, that's interesting. I'm struggling with the welsh names I keep turning up, Marian