Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any one in the West End today/soon?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 21 Aug 2003 16:31

Hi, is there anyone who works in London's West End or is likely to be there soon? I have discovered from a birth certificate received today that my gg grandfather was born at 20 Air Street, St James, London. I looked on my huge AtoZ and the road is still there. It starts opposite the Ritz on Picadilly and runs up, across lower Regents Street and then ends on Glasshouse Street. Would anyone be willing to take a quick peek and see what's at number 20 now?? I have a suspicion it used to be a hotel. Unfortunately I'm living in Holland now so not able to look. Thanks!

John

John Report 21 Aug 2003 19:17

Yes Air Street is still there. It runs from Picadilly to Glasshouse Street. No 20 must be about on the corner of Glasshouse Street. Hope this helps. John

John

John Report 21 Aug 2003 19:31

Sorry for Glasshouse Street read Brewer Street. No 20 is at the end of Air Street. Air Street crosses Regent Street and Glasshouse Street. Brewer Street is in Soho. It's restaurant and club land. I'm not in the West End today or I would look it up for you. John

Angela

Angela Report 21 Aug 2003 20:08

Thanks John but I was actually wondering what was at number 20 now, I seem to remember a number of bars on that street from when I lived in London. No worries otherwise, I'll have to wait until Christmas to satisfy my curiousity...

Ann

Ann Report 22 Aug 2003 10:47

Hi Angela If your message had been posted 1 hour earlier I could have looked as went to theatre last night and must have walked right passed Air street on way to Shaftsbury ave from Green park.

Angela

Angela Report 22 Aug 2003 12:11

No worries Ann, my sister has offered to look in a few weeks when she is next in London. No doubt there will be nothing to see anyway but sometimes you never know. I found a hotel in Southampton that the same family had run and the local archeological society had done a whole study on the building and it's past!!