Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 21 Aug 2003 11:41

I've found an ancestor Isabella Thompson in the 1861 census with her husband John Thompson and 2 new children. Sophia Thompson b 1856 and Walter Thompson b 1859. The problem is I can't find the children in 1881,1891 or 1901. My only lead is that their father was a mining agent and I believe he worked for London Lead Mining Company. Any assistance appreciated George

Alison

Alison Report 21 Aug 2003 17:28

By 1881 both children could be married and living by their own means which makes them harder to trace. Do you know where they were born as this could help your search. You might have more luck looking at the 1871 census or searching for marriages on freeBMD. Alison

John

John Report 21 Aug 2003 17:39

I agree with Alison. A high proportion of people married around 20 years old in the 1800s. Have you also tried permutations of the spelling of Thompson? I eventually found a whole group of my family because the enumerator had not crossed the T and they read as Ls. John

George

George Report 21 Aug 2003 18:37

I've tried doing a first name search with birth year and place of birth with no luck. Sophia would have been 24 and Walter 22. George

George

George Report 13 Sep 2003 10:19

any other suggestions George

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 13 Sep 2003 10:44

Georgina; I just had a quick look on Free and, in the absence of a place or year of birth, I found approx 33 SOPHIAs and about 170 WALTERs. I deliberately didn't count the ones with second names.I searched from 1876 to 1903. Perhaps you should have a look and see if you can lay claim to any!! Happy looking Sonja