Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Census Look Up - Missing Sisters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 21 Aug 2003 10:02

I have just realised that two of my great great grandfather's sisters were not at home on 1891 census night. Can someone look up for me and see where and with whom they were on census night- I think it might give me some more clues. The names are Marie Burghard (approx age 17, born in Southampton) and Barbara Burghard (approx age 13, born in Portsmouth). Thanks!!

Anna

Anna Report 21 Aug 2003 10:36

Hiya I have found a barbara Burghard age 13 born Portsmouth living with a Katie? Burghard aged 17 born Southhampton who is listed as her sister.Katies occupation was hotel manageress.I cant see the name of the hotel properly on the census image but it looks like Burghard?? Hotel.I think the road is Commercial Road? It hard to read the handwriting!! the civil parish for these is Portsea.Hope this is of help to you.there is no mention of a Marie on the census.There are also 3 servants living with them but again i cant read the names

Angela

Angela Report 21 Aug 2003 10:46

Anna, thanks for this. I suspect the Katie is Marie, it's just the handwriting. This family had several properties on Commercial Road in 1899 so this would also fit. Could you send me the image so I could take a look at the handwriting myself? Thanks!

Anna

Anna Report 21 Aug 2003 10:52

can u give me your email address then i will send it via email as i dont know if i can do it through here.

Angela

Angela Report 21 Aug 2003 11:07

Will do!