Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer question, HELP!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 19 Aug 2003 22:15

I keep getting a popup from Microsoft Internet Explorer saying " Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page, as a result this page may not display correctly" anyone knows what this means as I'm abit thick when it comes to computers? and what do I have to do? Any Help Please !!!!!!!! Thanks Meryl

Donna

Donna Report 19 Aug 2003 22:59

Its to do with Adobe Acrobat reader. Its nothing to worry about, it just means that you might be using DJVU for example and it will try to open that file with adobe first. If you are running XP then it will learn to put adobe to the bottom of the selction list, if not then you can either remove adobe ( not recommended) or just live with it. Hope this helps.

Crista

Crista Report 20 Aug 2003 07:43

Meryl, Not sure what pages you are visiting when you see this. Your browser is giving you a security warning. Certain web pages use ActiveX and these controls CAN have full access to your Windows operating system. With this power comes a certain risk that they may damage software or data on your machine. To control this risk, Microsoft developed a registration system so that browsers can identify and authenticate an ActiveX control before downloading it. You should probably leave your browser settings as they are to be safe. If the messages really bother you, you can do the following: Click on Tools, then Internet Options, then on the Advanced tab. Scroll down and you will see two options named "Enable install on demand" make sure both the boxes are ticked. This will stop those messages but it probably isn't the safest option. Donna, it has nothing to do with Adobe Acrobat. Crista

Meryl

Meryl Report 20 Aug 2003 10:01

Thanks Christa, I notice it alot on this site but my daughter says it pops up when she is also on the internet. I think I will just live with it rather than mess about with something I know nothing about! Also thanks to Donna.