Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HMHS Rohilla - Whitby - 1914

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 19 Aug 2003 20:21

Hello everyone My great-uncle, George Brain, was the ship's carpenter when it sank off Whitby on 30/10 1914. He drowned. Does anyone know if there is going to be any memorials next year for the 90th anni? I've got a bit of info about the ship and the incident from various sites. If anyone has got anything to say about it - type away! Did many national papers report the story at all - pictures etc? John Stephenson

Penny

Penny Report 19 Aug 2003 22:26

I did a search on www(.)google(.)ca and found a few hits (remove brackets around (.) to use or go to google and do a search here are a couple http://www.tynemouth-lifeboat(.)co(.)uk/rohilla(.)htm http://www(.)biship(.)com/historical/rohilla(.)htm Penny

Florence

Florence Report 19 Aug 2003 22:34

Hi John, You may be interested to know of the following book; "Into the Maelstrom The Wreck of HMHS Rohilla" by Colin Brittain, illustrated by John Littleford and Sarah Turner. First published 2002, in U K by Tempus Publishing Ltd., Gloucestershire. price £12.99. G.Brain is listed on the east panel of the Rohilla Monument in Whitby Cemetery. I live in Whitby and if I can be of any further help, please e mail.

JillGr

JillGr Report 20 Aug 2003 00:08

I have the account in "The Story of the Whitby Lifeboats". If you are interested I can type it up and forward to you directly. Jill

John

John Report 20 Aug 2003 07:42

Thanks everyone. I went to Whitby in 1994, took some photos of the monument and looked out to sea trying to imagine what happened - a bit hard as the water was v calm! If anyone hears of anything for the 90th anni, could you let me know please. John S